Can anyone compare a Shure SM57 to a Shure SM7b?

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
I've been using a Shure SM57 for all of my vocal needs. I've been experimenting with the E906 I got recently and I really like how it sounds. Everyone talks about how great the SM7b is for metal vocals, but its a $300 mic and I have a hard time justifying that much on a single mic.

BUT if it sounds good enough anything is possible :D

If anyone owns a Shure SM57 and a Shure SM7b, would you mind posting a clip of some raw vocals into both mics?

Thanks!

I can't help but point out this mic is twice as expensive in Europe and it's still probably worth it.

Well seeing as how it's the vocal mic used on about 90% of my favorite metal albums, that's enough proof that it's worth it for me. I just bought one a week ago.

You haven't bought many condenser mics yet, have you?

Nope. I'm just recording guitar/vocals in my bedroom for my solo project. Right now I'm pretty happy with what I've got, but if I could significantly improve my vocal sound I can justify it.

I'd just like to hear the difference, if at all possible. I understand its a better mic, but I don't know if its worth it.

The vox in the song "The Silent Rivals" in my myspace link in my sig were all through an SM7, and goddamn did it fucking rule. We didn't compare it to a 57 in that particular session, but I can definitely say that other times I've used a 57/58 on vox it didn't sound anywhere near as good as my one wonderful experience with the SM7. :)

I think an important point is that you really have to stand still with using the sm57 for vocals.
The SM7 is more sensitive, a bit like a condensor I would say.
So with the sm57 you can get a narrow sound very fast if the angle or distance is not right.
hope that was understandable, sorry for my english

I've used the sm57 once on aggressive vocals and it was a pain in the ass to record and mix. I'll never use it on vocals again. The sm58 has worked much much better for me.

However, like everyone else said: Just get the SM7. In my experience, the difference is pretty huge and IMO a 300$ mic a pretty damn cheap mic... Go for it! You won't regret it!

I've used the sm57 once on aggressive vocals and it was a pain in the ass to record and mix. I'll never use it on vocals again. The sm58 has worked much much better for me.

I was always under the impression that they're almost identical- the only difference being the filter design?

site_img_us_rc_sm57_large.gif

site_img_us_rc_sm7b_large.gif

site_img_us_rc_sm58_large.gif

However, like everyone else said: Just get the SM7. In my experience, the difference is pretty huge and IMO a 300$ mic a pretty damn cheap mic... Go for it! You won't regret it!

I've used the SM57 before and I got good-enough results. It's definitely not something I'm unhappy with. I know the difference is huge I just want to hear it to see if its something I want to spend $300 on. It might be cheap for mics but it certainly isn't cheap for a college student.

LOL THREAD IS LOL

Thanks for your contribution! :)

Thanks! Those are very interesting.