Shure SM7B vs Electrovoice RE20. Gotta pick one...

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Alright, I'm looking to get a mic for recording vocals with my little home studio setup, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Shure SM7B and the Electrovoice RE20. They're about the same price, and I've heard both are very good for rock and metal vocals... So, I'm looking for some input from you guys. Can you compare them for me and try to help me decide?

Also, just out of curiosity, how does the RE27 compare to the RE20? I've seen that it's more expensive new, but because it's not as popular as the RE20 it tends to sell used for less than the RE20 does used...

So, if you could only have one of these, which would it be and why?

I own both, except I have an original SM7. I like both mics actually, but I think the SM7 has a little bit brighter top end, which usually works out better for singing. The RE20 is a little bit boomier sounding...not muffled, but just fuller in the low end- think of a radio DJ voice. Both are broadcast mics, but I think for singing I would recommend the SM7 (not sure about the differences between the SM7 and SM7B). The RE20 works great on floor toms also, and it's fun putting it on a guitar cab with an SM57 as well.

I own both, except I have an original SM7. I like both mics actually, but I think the SM7 has a little bit brighter top end, which usually works out better for singing. The RE20 is a little bit boomier sounding...not muffled, but just fuller in the low end- think of a radio DJ voice. Both are broadcast mics, but I think for singing I would recommend the SM7 (not sure about the differences between the SM7 and SM7B). The RE20 works great on floor toms also, and it's fun putting it on a guitar cab with an SM57 as well.

Cool, yeah I've heard that both mics work nicely on guitar cabs... and that the RE20 can be used for bass cabs and bass drums with good results too...

I've been leaning more towards the Shure, but just wanted to get some last minute opinions on here. thanks for the info. heh

the RE20 can be used for bass cabs and bass drums with good results too...

yea, but there's also a lot of people who like the SM7 on bass cabs and kick as well

i would try getting a hold of a retailer who can send you both, let you demo them both for a week, then send one of them back

All I know is I've heard WAY more positive things about the SM7 than the RE20, which I know only by reputation (as in, people saying it has a good reputation :lol: ); Aaron, you're actually the first person I've seen here mention it, whereas people gush constantly over the SM7.

both are great mics. RE20 is an awesome kick, floor tom, bass cab, vocal/broadcast, guitar cab mic. The sm7b is in the same class as the RE20, although i haven't tried it in all the same situations. I imagine they are both good on the same sources, but the sm7 tends to be pulled out for male rock vocals. one plus about the re20 is that it doesn't need as much gain as the sm7.

Let's see...

SM7: Anything Sneap and Murphy have done lately, the new Soilwork (like it or not, Speed wins at vocals)...
RE20: ?????

I love my SM7. I actually love it so much that I'm putting out a cover using nothing but the SM7, just to show how awesome it is at existence. That's hardly saying anything, though, given that anytime I hear a Murphy clip the first question (unless it's an instrumental track) I ask him is inevitably "SM7-Distressor?" and the answer is always yes, Andy shoves them in front of everyone from Warrel Dane to Chuck Billy, and it comes with this neat clown-nose thing that makes all vocalists bow over the UberJew and his schnozz of doom...

dscn1339yn6.jpg
[/IMG]

FEAR.

Well, I'm inclined to say Sm7 as well, but just because James and Andy aren't using the RE-20 doesn't mean it couldn't be better than the SM7 is some situations. If you have to pick one or the other though, I suppose Sm7 is the way to go. Mine's never disappointed me except for it's low output.

Everytime I read about the SM7, people complain about the low output, I'm not sure about the RE-20 though. Not putting the mic down, but just saying that make sure you have a pre-amp that has high gain otherwise you might be dissapointed. Another low cost alternative mic if your interested is a Kel Audio HM-2d or a moded SM57, I know you weren't asking about those, but I just thought I'd throw them out there just in case you go with a less expensive mic and use the leftover cash for a decent little preamp like a studio projects VTb-1 or M-audio DMP3. Just food for thought.

Oh BTW if you go to kel audios website you can hear sound clips of the HM2d vs the venerable SM7.

I don't know, the thing's noise ratio is obscenely low, so even if you had a preamp that lacked gain but had little noise you could just (ab)use a gain meter in the DAW you'd be doing pretty damn well. I built a preamp just for the SM7 and shielded it like a 10 at a Star Trek convention, and while the signal peaked around -20dB I didn't notice anything missing - with the technology we have, low output means little more than potential signal-noise ratio problems here.

The modified SM57 thing really doesn't do what people expect it to when they want a 'budget alternative to the SM7' - its capsule is completely different and it still handles much like an SM57, just with less of an obnoxious upper mid spike. If you still want details on how to do that mod I can tell you about it, as I do it to my mics anyway, but don't expect an SM7 out of anything but an SM7.

Jeff