Versatile vocal mic: Shure SM7b or Oktava MK 319?

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new vocal mic. The Audio Technica AT2020 that I've been using doesn't quite cut it anymore... It's harsh and thin sounding. I used to like the brightness but now its just annoying.

I've been doing a good bit of research, and it looks like its down between these two contendors: Oktava MK 319 and Shure SM7b.

I'm going to be recording clean male and female vocals as well as harsh vocals. If it was just for the male vocals, I'd get the SM7b, but I don't know how well it would translate for a female singer. The Oktava gets great reviews, and it'd be nice to have a condensor for other acoustic instrument sources ( violin, acoustic guitar, etc. )

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

The AT2020 I have is extremely bright as well, and not in a pleasing way. I was hoping that the Oktava could retain the clarity and sensitivity of the AT2020 while having a smoother and more pleasing top end.

Does the SM7b handle female vocals well?

Well the original factory MK319 is not a good mic.
The Michael Jolly's Oktavamod MK319 is an awesome mic. Then again, it's certainly not what I'd call a versatile mic. If you are after that famous old FET and transformer sound, you're good but if you want something that will work from any type of vocals, you're better off looking for something else.

For anyone still comparing...

I have the MK319 (un-modded), an AT3035, and a SM7b (just got it, not too familar with yet) and will say that between the 3035 and the sm7b I'm pretty much covered for vocals now. The 3035 is great for more of an ambient tone, or with great to good singers, and the sm7b sounds great for vocal forward mixes, and those with less than stellar mic technique, also responds well to moderate compression. The SM7b gets rid of most of the room noise while the 3035 does the opposite. As for the MK-319 and I've always found it way too dark on vox. It's great on mid heavy bass cabs though. my 2 cents.

Btw. sm7b ain't a condenser mic. It also needs a shitload of preamp gain I've heard.

Especially when a) tracking at 24-bit (much greater dynamic range) and b) recording a screamer/growler! However, it's not inaccurate to say that it definitely needs more gain than most mics ;)

For anyone still comparing...

I have the MK319 (un-modded), an AT3035, and a SM7b (just got it, not too familar with yet) and will say that between the 3035 and the sm7b I'm pretty much covered for vocals now. The 3035 is great for more of an ambient tone, or with great to good singers, and the sm7b sounds great for vocal forward mixes, and those with less than stellar mic technique, also responds well to moderate compression. The SM7b gets rid of most of the room noise while the 3035 does the opposite. As for the MK-319 and I've always found it way too dark on vox. It's great on mid heavy bass cabs though. my 2 cents.

And, Matt, I know you probably aren't keen on the idea of another AT mic, but AMS has the 3035's on sale for 140, free shipping...I'd like to try an SM7 for da brootz, tho.

And, Matt, I know you probably aren't keen on the idea of another AT mic, but AMS has the 3035's on sale for 140, free shipping...I'd like to try an SM7 for da brootz, tho.

thanks but I already have two of the AT-3035's : ) I would agree that the SM7b needs a fair amount of gain. when run through a Studio Projects VTB-1, I need almost full preamp gain (when singing, screaming is at high noon to 3 o'clock). I'd almost be tempted to try a Beta 58 on screamer vox. Saw a studio vid of Between the Buried and Me and they were tracking vox with one. For the price diff. may be worth checking out.

thanks but I already have two of the AT-3035's : ) I would agree that the SM7b needs a fair amount of gain. when run through a Studio Projects VTB-1, I need almost full preamp gain (when singing, screaming is at high noon to 3 o'clock). I'd almost be tempted to try a Beta 58 on screamer vox. Saw a studio vid of Between the Buried and Me and they were tracking vox with one. For the price diff. may be worth checking out.

My post was directed at Matt Parsons, the thread starter, not you.

I was using your post as backup for the idea that a 3035 may be a good choice for the price (given he'd wanna give an AT mic another chance).

damn i just bought a sm7b instead of a hq preamp. do you think the toneport's emulations or a studioprojects vbt1 will do it?!

I have the VTB-1 and it's got enough gain when maxed for the SM7b. Depending on how loud the source is you should be fine. :)