To SM7B or Not to SM7B. That is the question.

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
Im interested in the Shure SM7B.

I have an AT4060 which is great but it seams that people are choosing the SM7B for more aggressive vocals over mics like the TLM103 or other expensive mics for a $349 broadcast mic.

Not to mention I have seen it on DVD's being used by Lamb of God, Arch Enemy and Metallica.

I record mostly Aggressive vocals for Death, Thrash, Metal Core etc.

Occasionally I have a Screamo or something in that vein with some melodic vocals.

The AT4060 has served me well but I sometimes feel like I could use something that works a little more in favor with growls and such.

Is it worth going for or should I invest in other mics like 421's for my Toms.

The SM7B and 421 are the same price and I am eventually going to want a full set of them.

I am just wondering if I will enjoy and get more use out of the SM7B until I have a full set of 421's or if the SM7B will not thrill me any more than my AT4060.

Appreciate any experienced advice!

I bought the SM7b a few weeks ago because I have a very sibilant voice with harsh "ess" and "shh" sounds. Have been pretty happy with it especially because:

a) it's possible to record it hand-held, which I like A LOT
b) it doesn't pick up too much spill from off-axis sources which makes it great for recording in the control room without headphones and the speakers blaring

Both of these things, along with the good sound of the mic, make it my favorite mic so far ...

sm7's are great on hihats, male vocals, and i hear it makes a good kick mic. I personally wouldn't use a tlm103 on gritty vocals. most people i know wouldn't even want a tlm103.

The drummer from Chevelle has one mounted inside his kick for live use, and it sounded great when I saw them.

That said, the new Chimaira was TLM103 and sounds great to my ears.