AT3035 or SM7B?!

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
Okay..

So it's christmas time, and it's time for a new vocal mic.
I'm tired of my cheap chinese MXL, and i've decided on either the AT3035 or the SM7B.

Which one do you think would be my best bet?
I've basically got the money NOW to buy an AT3035..
And I'd have to save a little bit more to get an SM7B.

What would you guys suggest?

Depends on what you wanna do. If you have a poor room and want to record vocals, get the sm7b. If you have a good room and want to record vocals and stuff like acoustic guitars, get the 3035.

SM7b
it stands up to any high end vocal mic and regularly beats out expensive condensers for me
the at3035 does not IMO... and if your room isn't treated well, I'd say the SM7 is a much, much better choice

My "vocal booth" is basically 4 really tall gobos that I built myself with foam mattress egg crate stuff nailed to plywood, and covered with some fabric. It's not very good at all. Haha.

I'm thinking the SM7 might be better as well.
But it's so much more pricey!

SM7 is a beast. Use it for anything - mono room mic, screamed vocals, clean vocals, micing cabs, snares, floor tom, hats - anything. Always sounds good.

For vocals - You'd be hard pushed to find a LDC that's more present than an SM7. Its so crisp its unreal. A lot of the time, i'll just switch the high pass on the mic and then it doesn't need any post EQ.

sm7 is like having the cancel-out characteristics of a dynamic, but the quality of a condensor

it also is a tank, it will handle just about anything.

you can also hold it, which is a major plus for some vocalists.

sm7, i got the 3035 because of the price, but now wish i saved up.

the 3035 is fantasticcccccccc for the price. but the sm7 is just amazing haha.

check ebay for deals, like joey said its a tank, so chances are there is nothing wrong with a used sm7!