RME Fireface 400 v/s 800 .. something else I would be missing?

chaosmonger

Sep 16, 2006
Santiago, Chile
www.poemaarcanus.cl
Hi Guys!

Well, I’m planning to get a nice audio inteface for my computer.
Soon I’ll be recording my band’s new album and this time we wanted to do it by ourselves.My plan is the following:

Recording drums on a nice studio, using its preamps, room and mics.
I would bring my PC + Audio interface as the recording device.

Then recording the rest (guitars, bass and vocals) at home using the PC, interface and some mic preamps. I’m planning to purchase a FMR RNP, and I could also use some rented nice preamps and mics.

Of course some decent monitors are on their way. (I was thinking Yamaha NS10)

I’m planning to work either on Nuendo or Cubase SX. (still learning both … not decided which I like more yet)

Well, THE QUESTION:

I have decided my audio interface will be a RME Fireface, (no need to explain why, I guess), but my doubt is still which one will suit me best, the 800 or the 400.

I know the 800 has more inputs and outputs, and two more mic preamps, but I don’t think I need more than 16 tracks of simultaneous recording, and the same for the extra 2 mic pres.

So my question is: Am I losing something else with the FF400 besides the extra input-output-mic pres of the FF800?. Do they have the same quality per-channel in the signal path? (I mean: converters, mic pres etc.).

If the difference is only a matter of quantity and not quality, I guess I’ll be going for the 400 (and save some precious cash that could be used on mics, for example).

Would you enlighten me?

Thanks
Igor

According to the dude from RME posting over at gearslutz, the converters on the 400 (I have one of these) are apparently slighty worse than the 800, but the preamps are marginly better. The difference in these areas between the two units in these areas is apparently neglible in their view.

The 400 has a front panel firmware and software volume control whereas the 800 is software only so could be risky hooking monitors directly up to it.

FF800 supports FW800 & 400 speeds, whereas the FF400 is (duh)....400 only.

The FF400 has 8ins and 8 outs but outputs 7 & 8 are for the stereo headphone output so it's more like 8ins, 6outs + stereo phones (to be pedantic).

Both units can be expanded via the ADAT ins/outs if you're running out of inputs and want to expand.

The FF400 is more than than enough for me as I'm pretty much doing mix only projects and recording my own stuff these days and don't track live drums.

Hey guys sorry to hijack but I have a dumb question...

If you wanted to expand the amount of inputs (more mics) on the fireface, what kind of device would you buy?? Hook a cheaper Mackie mixer or something to the ADAT ins/outs??

-Joe