RME Fireface 800

Ouroboros

Amateur Audio Engineer
Mar 26, 2008
Toronto
Ok, I need a new interface setup if I'm going to get serious about getting some freelance work. (I'm currently setting aside money to acoustically treat a room, as well)

I'm kind of struggling with what I should buy, as I can think of two ways to go with a new setup. I have been seriously looking into the RME Fireface 800, and I was wondering if anyone owns this on here, or has worked with one before. That is currently the more affordable option, and it has plenty of connectivity for future preamp/outboard gear.

However, I was thinking I could just wait and look into a Lynx Aurora 16 with the LSLOT IEEE1394 expansion to hook it up to my Mac. But, in this case, I would have to save more money just for preamps. And if I were to make this purchase, I would stick to solely analog preamps (ART Tube MPA Gold, FMR RNP, SSL X-Logic Alpha VHD...perhaps even invest in an 8 channel Neotek or Soundcraft board, for summing options and the pres).

Ultimately, in your opinion, what is the better decision in the long-run (I think I know this already...)?

there have been alot of disusions about this kinda stuff lately so try using the search function.

If you're into options then definitely go the Aurora route, because the way I see it, those options of having all of those different preamps in combination with different mics are what is going to give you the initial sound. Sure you can EQ and add processing in the DAW later on, but some drums, guitars, vocalists may sound better on preamp A vs with Mic B, versus Preamp B with Mic B, etc. Not to mention, once you start buying gear, you most likely will want to buy MORE gear, so I would say plan for flexibility in the future. From what I have heard RME's mic's aren't the most sought after, not saying they are bad, just that they are not the best, it's their AD/DA converters that everyone likes. It's true you could import VIA lightpipe into them, but then you will eventually run into a brick wall with your options. Just my .02

i was in the same boat about wether to get a fireface 800 or a mh 2882. i went with the 2882 and it sounds fabulous. it is really upgradeable(dsp driven plugs and such). plus metric halo keeps updating the 2882 instead of building a new box which means security for the future. read some reviews, it is really good indeed. the lynx would be a step up slightly im sure over the 2882 or fireface or ensemble from what ive heard. good luck,

Here's a question but a little off topic......When do you know its time to make that Leap to a RME or Aurora ?
Like im using a M-audio Delta 44 as my interface now and i seem to be getting good relsults. atleast i have been told i am......but the delta 44 is in no way on the level of RME.
and $1000-$1500 bucks is expensive but if its gonna take my quality to new levels i got no problem dropping a 1000 bucks on a new interface.
how much quality increase could i expect from upgrading to RME 800 from Delta 44?
Do you just have to make a leap of faith on an expensive gear like that and hope the name holds up and all the articles you have read comes true and everything works out in the end?

At Long & McQuade, you can order in a lot of things, and they guarantee your money back within 30 days, as long as it isn't damaged. So, when I have the money to invest in one, I will purchase it, and if I'm not impressed, or there's a technical problem, I would then return it.

Thanks for the responses, I've searched through some of the posts, and I think it would be worth the wait to invest in a standalone AD/DA like the Aurora, and invest in different types of analog pres.