Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 or Rme Fireface 400?

Teddyboy

Oct 6, 2008
Athens,Greece
www.facebook.com
It's about time I start upgrading my recording equipment and starting for a replacement for my Lexicon Lambda,I'm interested in those two cards (Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 Rme Fireface 400). I can spend about 800 euros (720 and 820 from Thpmann). I need firewire,great converters and preamps. Which one of those two would you suggest? If you have any other card to suggest, I would gladly listen your thoughts.

A new, unproven interface with more preamps, two of which may or may not be gimmicks = Saffire

A rock-solid, tried-and-true interface proven to be reliable and sound great (but with only 2 preamps) = FF400

Not saying the Saffire might not necessarily be heralded as the greatest interface of our time in a few years, but for that kinda money I know I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig (I'll just go ahead and explain that that's an expression for "test subject", cuz I can see how that would be VERY confusing :lol: )

Quite a few people have the Saffire now *I know of at least 4 on this forum alone* and its good as gold. Sounds great runs great.

Wise investment IMO.

The Saffire 56 is getting better reviews than I expected!

Although the preamp emulations might not sound exactly like what they claim
to emulate, they do give you alot of options and they actually sound good.

I currently have a Saffire 10 interface and it is very stable and the pres are
good (although they are not liquid pre's).
I am looking for a new interface these days (I need ADAT) but I will definately keep
my Saffire as a bread-and-butter 8ch preamp.

Metaltastic has a point though. The FF400 would be the safest bet in this situation.
I dont think there has been a more tried-and-true interface ever than the FireFace.

Yeah, that's really all I meant, the Fireface has been around for years and has countless satisfied customers, and apparently one of the big things it has going for it is excellent driver stability (having to deal with my slightly hiccup-y Onyx 400F, I've come to appreciate this more :Smug: ), not to mention long-term reliability - maybe the Saffire has both, or maybe it doesn't, seems too soon to tell IMO!

i have the saffire 56.

it worked for 5 months.

then, one day, there was no firewireconnection any more.
tried 3 different systems - it didnt work...

so i had to return that bitch 3 times, first 2 had the same defect,
no fw connection...

now the third one works, - i did multitrack record drums with the saffire,
turned out very nice!

I did the same toss up. Saffire 56 baby! I think it may dislodge the FF400's market place position as the best bang for buck/quality ratio. It sits right between the ff400 and ff800. I dont know if i'd go as far to say it would beat an 800 though! Who knows ;) Obviously, the RME's are established and proven :)

I was away for a few days and I just saw your posts. Thanks a lot guys! Your opinions really matter. I've read good reviews for both,so I wanted to know if Saffire's preamps are really that good and worth purchasing it or just get the already proven FireFace. I'm still confused though.. Is there anything else you would suggest instead of those two?

A new, unproven interface with more preamps, two of which may or may not be gimmicks = Saffire

A rock-solid, tried-and-true interface proven to be reliable and sound great (but with only 2 preamps) = FF400

Not saying the Saffire might not necessarily be heralded as the greatest interface of our time in a few years, but for that kinda money I know I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig (I'll just go ahead and explain that that's an expression for "test subject", cuz I can see how that would be VERY confusing :lol: )

Gimmicks??? Have you tried the Liquid Saffire 56 and properly A/B'd it with the FF400?

I thought I recognised the thread title. I think search engines are the internet equivalent of goto statements. If you're not careful you end up writing complete nonsense in the wrong place