Can anyone compare the M-Audio Profire 610/2626 and RME Fireface 400?

I'm actually using a Profire 2626 and an RME Hammerfall PCI together; 2626 going in via ADAT. So I'm using it as a standalone converter. I'm doing this because the M-Audio drivers seem to be a tad flaky on Windows 7. I was getting sample-rate issues where my audio would just come out all bitcrushed until I reset the driver. Doing it the RME way round, it is much better, I can get lower latencies because I'm not using firewire, and I get more midi inputs too.

I'd just be careful. I talked up the 2626 as being awesome until I started getting driver issues when I moved over to Win7. Other than that, everything is working swimmingly. The preamps are very good, and the pad function is useful when recording drums. Two headphone outputs are awesome too.

Windows 7 isn't even released yet so what do you expect?! LAWL.

I've had the same thing happen with mine, using TI chipset FW card on XP though.

My Profire on my Macbook works fucking great though!

M-Audio are releasing Win7 beta drivers, check their forum. I tried them, but they didn't fix the problem. It could just be my unit, though.

I don't know about the profire 610 specifically, but I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff (such as the 003, onyx 800r, MOTU, etc) uses the same AKM chip converters that RME does. Tbh...

Well since the 003 can only go to 96k, I'm pretty certain that's not the case with it - and also, while they still have something to sell, Black Lion Audio's description of what's wrong with MOTU converters (or what can be done to improve them) makes a fair amount of sense; it centers around the analog stages before them, so while the chip may be the same from interface to interface, the other gain stages in the interface could be a different story. However, I generally agree that A/D converter quality really isn't that important for individually tracked metal recordings (with very little dynamic subtlety compared to classical stuff or whatnot), D/A converters definitely make a noticeable difference in monitoring since a whole stereo mix is pumped through 'em (though of course that has no effect on what's being recorded)

Well, I'm sold on the Fireface, can anyone tell me what a good used price is for one? $800-1000 I'm guessing?

Man, despite what you guys said, the FF400 is going for around $700 or less on ebay with the FF800 going around $8-900

ALSO!!!

--Hello,
--I am looking to buy an RME Fireface for my studio. I have heard that
--the preamps are different in the Fireface 400 and are supposedly of
--higher quality. Is there any truth to this rumor?

Yes, the preamps in the FF400 are slightly better, similar to those in the Micstasy in fact.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So it's true! The FireFace 400 DOES have better preamps!