Help with RME fireface 400 problem?!?!

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys, I have already sent this to RME tech support but sometimes this forum is super helpful and i know there are a lot of smart people here! So here we go...

I have owned an RME fireface 400 for many years and it has worked well. I recently built a new recording computer and now I am having difficulty getting it to work properly.

Computer: Windows 7 Enterprise, ASUS Maximus VIII motherboard, SIIG NN-E20012-S2 Firewire card (legacy driver installed).

My computer recognizes the RME fireface 400, I have installed the latest drivers, and I can access totalmix perfectly fine.

The Problem: I am unable to play an audio file. If I attempt to play an audio file it does not play and instead a series of continuous beeping tones occurs until i click "stop" or i exit the program.

If I unplug the fireface and switch to using the computers on board audio output I am able to play audio perfectly fine.

Any help would be tremendous!!

Thank you!

Do you have a laptop with Firewire or your old rig? That way you could make sure it's not the Fireface400 causing your problem.

Did you try to re-install the drivers of your firewire card? Tried a different PCI-E slot for it? Does the fw card work well for other applications (external hdd etc)? Does it (the firewire card, not the interface) show up as installed in the windows hardware manager? Do you have another firewire cable to try if the old one is broken?

I think if these don't solve the problem at least you can get closer to what's causing the issues. If you all fails and you still can, I'd try to send the FW card back and get another one.

According to the RME staff you're better off having a separate sound card for system sounds (FF to be used/assigned to DAWs only). Under Windows, anyway. Otherwise you're likely to run into issues.

Make sure you update the BIOS on your new board (as that can often cause audio glitches) and update FF to the latest firmware version as well.

So you have legacy firewire drivers for your PCI card, and the last FF400 drivers (3.118 ?).
Is your hardware (FF400) updated to the last revision (1.71) too, using the flash tool ?

The Problem: I am unable to play an audio file. If I attempt to play an audio file it does not play and instead a series of continuous beeping tones occurs until i click "stop" or i exit the program.
Where are you playing this audio file from ?
A DAW, a software player ?

Is the FF400 set up as the default sound device under windows settings ?

Hey guys! Sorry for not replying I have been talking with tech support, I ultimately resolved the problem. I had to buy a different compatible firewire card. So it is all good to go now!