Breakout box and mic help

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok i just bought a Digi 001. What i am wondering is...Do you have to connect say a sm57 to the phantom powered channels only or can they work from any one of the channels, leaveing the PP channels for condenser mics. Basically can i use 5 channels (2 with condensers) for drums and then the other 3 for guitars/bass?

I do plan to get an adat 8 mic pre to connect to it but that will be later.

Soory for this noob Q but i have been searching for ages to no avail.

You only have 2 preamps in the Digi001, so unless you buy another preamp to run into the line inputs on the back of the Digi001 or an ADAT preamp to plug into the PCI card, you can only record 2 microphones at a time. You can't just plug a microphone into the 1/4" jacks on the back because there are no preamps attached to those inputs so the signal will be way too quiet to be usable.

You can buy a cheap Behringer ADA8000 or something if you need additional peramps right away. You can run that into the ADAT on the PCI or you can run the analog outs into the 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the Digi 001.

So you can only really use the other inputs to connect extra pres? or can you use them with DI's?