Radial J48 Phantom power comes from mic pre?

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Does phantom power always come from a mic pre or can you get it from somewhere else? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a good DI and was considering the Radial J48 which is phantom powered. If phantom power always comes from a mic pre then doesn't the pre color the sound? This to me seems to defeat the purpose of the DI.

For example, I have a Digi 003 rack that has inputs 1-4 mic pre/DI and input 5-8 line inputs. AFAIK the DI inputs go through the pre amp and the inputs 5-8 don't (perhaps someone could confirm this?).

The problem with this is if I connect the Radial to one of the 003 mic pre inputs 1-4 then I get phantom power but I'm still going through the mic pre which I'm trying to avoid. If I connect to the one of the 003 inputs 1-5 I avoid the pre but the until won't work without phantom power.

A di converts a instrument level to that similar to a mic so that you can plug it into a mic preamp without an impedance mismatch. Hence why it has an XLR out and not a jack output like most line ins would

Thanks for the replies

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rolls-PB23-Phantom-Power-Adapter?sku=428708

I'm not sure if inputs 5-8 are line level or instrument level, but you might have problems if your source is too quiet

I'm pretty sure that they're line inputs. Wouldn't a DI be needed to connect to a line input to make the instrument signal higher or lower to reach line level?

A di converts a instrument level to that similar to a mic so that you can plug it into a mic preamp without an impedance mismatch. Hence why it has an XLR out and not a jack output like most line ins would

I was going to use a xlr-tsr cable from the radial to the line input to around the 003 mic pre but I can't because it won't get power.

Sorry, my fault, perhaps I should start my post again. I have a Digi 003 rack and I don't like the sound of guitars connected to it's DI input. I was hoping to add a different DI to the chain but I was thinking that if the DI goes straight back into the 003 mic pre it will sound the same or at least I'll get similar coloring from the pre as before. Is this correct? By connecting to a line input I was hoping to avoid the pre all together getting a DI only sound.

I always go through my interface pres. The pre has a lot less effect on the DI tone than you think(IMO). And from what I've seen being in studios, this is what most engineers do.

I always go through my interface pres. The pre has a lot less effect on the DI tone than you think(IMO). And from what I've seen being in studios, this is what most engineers do.

So do you think a DI in front of the pre might help? It's a pretty expensive experiment if it doesn't work.

Q: Can I use a battery to power the Radial J48?
A: Yes. There are internal solder points inside the J48 that are designed to allow you to connect a 9 volt battery to the unit for field powering. Today, most equipment is equipped with 48V phantom power so this feature is not widely used. Contact our service department for how you can connect a battery terminal and then wrap the battery in foam so that it does not rattle around inside.

From Radial Website

DI's are intended to go into mic pre's. If you go into the line input you're likely going to have a very low signal level. Try the DI into the pre and see what you think. If you're still not happy then get a nice clean preamp and go DI>Pre>Line In. Or get a ADAT or SPDIF equipped pre and you'll also have some extra inputs.