A way to get better DI-signals - bypassing that preamp?

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
Just been thinking, something i sometimes do way to much. :guh: So basicly, from what i ive read on here, the Radial J48 di box is generally some sort of preamp some one said once (that thing costs half of what my interface costs). This thing i connect to my M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps, from wich it gets powered. So if i am right, the guitar signal goes through a preamp 2 times... yes. Tho the Profires preamp arent that bad, they still aren't that great (read abit to much on blacklionaudio). And from what ive heard, the more preamps, the more noise... and crap... The Profires preamp are bypassable tho, if you connect stuff with a jack plug. But then ofc the Radial J48 doesn't get any power. Dunno if any you tried this already, but what if i connect if i use a Phantom Power adapter between the DI en then use the line in?? Will my signal get cleaner/better?

I think you'd be better off leaving the Radial in your chain (and nothing else) for a DI track. I have a feeling that your playing, guitar, pickups, and cable impact how 'clean' your DI ends up more than bypassing the Profires preamp would.

EDIT: and of course, new strings.

Line ins on the back (input 3 and 4) bypass the pres on the profire afaik.
J48 is active DI box with phantom power supply only, so only microphone inputs with phantom power are suitable.

Joelegend Just record sample with Hi-Z of 2626 and through J48 and compare do determine most suitable one.
There is one thing about J48, Radial claims that input impedance is 220 kOhm, while 2626 Hi-Z have good 1 MOhm...

Bon, i guess some misunderstood the terrible asked question. Couldn't resist it to actually try it out myself. So i basicly gave the radial J48 power with an external phantom power supply and connected the shit then to the line-in of the profire. It failed big time, tried different DI-boxes, but this way the signal going into the profire is very low with alot of noise.

It`s because most classically designed DI boxes attenuates signal to microphone level, i.e. by 20 db or so.