Do i need a DI box and PREAMP

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
i have a jackson guitar passive pick ups.

For a while i have been connecting my guitar directly to my SOUNDBLASTER interface http://sblive.narod.ru/SBLivePhotos/Audigy2Drive.jpg line in jack.

but lately since ive discovered this forum ive been reading on impulse responses (my guitar recordings and mixings tend to sound too up front and big, not that real of a sound) then i read ton of people talking about DI boxes and PREAMPS which is completely new to me.

Basically Why do we need a DI box ? Do i connect my guitar > DI box > Soundblaster interface?

or do i also need to buy a preamp? Guitar>Di box>Preamp> Soundblaster?

i have a 3 small combo amps (marshall, fender, line 6 spider lll) can i just connect one of those combo amps to my soundblaster and have the same effect?

any information would be helpful thanks.

edit: btw i just looked at the back of my fender amp. It says preamp out. Does that help in anyway?

hey dude

the simplest way to record with what you have without having to buy anything new is to use the preamp/line out on whichever amp you want to use and put that into the line in on your soundcard. Then use an impulse loader like lecab or kefir to load an impulse and off you go.

Otherwise a dedicated audo interface/soundcard would be the best bet. If you can find one with a dedicated instrument input then you should be right.

Theres quite a bit of info on here if you have a search first. I'm pretty sure alot of this has been covered before and in alot more detail than what i just said.

Cheers

Phil