do i need a DI Box!?

FIXXXER

¯\(°_o)/¯
Feb 18, 2008
Germany
First of all i apologise for the for the dumb title, my brain has not yet booted completely
to come up with a more meaningful...title :D

Here's the situation, right now i am using an AXE FX II to record guitars and bass.
The AXE FX II is directly connected to a RME ADI 2 PRO USB interface/DAC.

I would like to simplyfy my setup as i am using the Diezel VH4 Sim in the AXE FX II 99% of the time.

I am thinking to either try out some of the latest modeler Software (Helix Native)
or to buy a few preamp pedals (Diezel VH 4 pedal V2 for guitar and Darkglass Mictotubes B7K for bass)

Do i need a DI Box in both cases to connect the guitar/bass to the RME interface/DAC?

I also have a fairly nice Great River Preamp that has a HI-Z input.

I know that the HI-Z input is designed to accept guitar/bass signals but i am not
sure if there is a significant difference to a high quality DI BOX.

Any ideas?

In my experience, you have enough options to forego a dedicated DI. A DI box will only do what your axe fx, great river, and rme (which should have instrument inputs). My tascam 1800 works fine for DIs. I prefer the colouring of my type85 into my MPA then line out into my tascam mic input, since it compresses/shapes a little, and it makes the tone more "complex" but I'm not sure it matters during otb reamping. A lot of people get great DIs out of an instrument input on a basic interface, dont discount what you have because someone else uses something different.

TL/DR, you already have options, try them out, and try stacking them.

Reactions: FIXXXER
sounds good, as i said i want to simplify the setup so another piece of gear would be not really beneficial!

I’ve got a Little Labs Redeye (older model) and I’ve compared the Redeye into my Profire 2626 vs the Profire instrument input and I can’t hear a difference.

Like said above - you already have options. Try them out and see what you prefer.

Reactions: FIXXXER