FAQ: Do I need a DI-box or can I just use my cheap interface's HI-Z input?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Alright, here is a test by popular demand. I have read this question a lot on this forum, so I decided to test it out. This is not a scientific, but an empirical test.

Do I need a DI-box or can I just use my cheap interface's HI-Z input?

About the gear in the test:

Computer: MacBook Pro laptop
Interface input: M-Audio Profire 610
DI-box: Radial J48 active DI-box
Guitar: Les Paul style ESP LTD EC-1000 with EMG81 on the bridge with about 5 days old strings (standard and drop-d tunings)
Bass: a cheapo ESP LTD B-50 bass with passive pickup, bridge singlecoil and 2 neck humbuckers and really old strings (standard tuning)

I used the same instrument cable for all the test and a 3m long XLR cable for to connect the DI-box to the interface (it was the shortest one I've got).

I tried to match the input level as closely as I could (+-0.5dB)

The playing performance is irrelevant in the clips, but the main question is how does the files sound and how much noise does it generate to get to the same level.

Files

I zipped a package of all the 20 files I made for the test

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/DI_test/profire_vs_radialJ48_ditest.zip

List of files, both have processed and dry di versions:

0001-0004: no cable inserted self noise tests (instrument input at use level, di-box at use level, di-box with pad from interface/dibox at use level)
0005-0006: bass test (first with pick, and then with fingers at the end)
0007-0010: two guitar tests (one with pad on the DI and one without)

The processed versions are just podfarm with screamer (drive 15%, tone 100%, level 50%) and dual threadplate on default settings just so you can hear how loud the noise floor gets without a noisegate

My opinion?

Get the DI-box.

Discuss.

Depends on the interface. I A/Bed my Fireface400 HiZ input vs the Little Labs DI, and heard no difference whatsoever, either listening to the DI or to an amp sim on top. Same result with my Saffire Pro 40.

On the other hand, my Presonus Firestudio Project sounded like muddy shit...

I did some tests yesterday too with my Konnekt 6 and Countryman Type 85 and I did hear a little difference.

How often do you find yourselves lowering the dB on the direct box (ie. -20dB, -40dB)? I feel like those settings totally sap the life from my DIs but have found it easier to tame any buzz when using them, so I'm torn.

Depends on the interface. I A/Bed my Fireface400 HiZ input vs the Little Labs DI, and heard no difference whatsoever, either listening to the DI or to an amp sim on top. Same result with my Saffire Pro 40.

On the other hand, my Presonus Firestudio Project sounded like muddy shit...

+1 to this.

I did a shootout with a Type 85 into my Saffire Pro 40 and a Fireface UFX, and there was little to no difference at all.

One thing I do with my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB is run the XLR out of my strobostomp into the interface, using a XLR in instead of a 1/4 Hi Z in. On many cheaper interfaces its entirely possible that the XLR in sounds better than the Hi Z.

Plus its more convenient since I can tune between takes with the strobo, which i prefer vastly to the g-tune plugin, even though they are of identical accuracy, I much prefer the strobo's display. :D