DI box or Pad? Instrument input clipping on interface

Ollie_H

Nov 5, 2009
My instrument input on my interface clips unless I turn down the volume knob on my guitar. What would be a better solution, getting some kind of pad to reduce the volume, or getting a DI box? I'm leaning towards a DI box because apparently it improves the signal too? My guitar is a 7 string with a D-Activator bridge pickup, which is a pretty high output passive pickup. What kind of DI box would I want, I have to match the impedance or something don't I? Confusing stuff :confused:

Let me guess. Saffire ?

Look for a DI box with an input impedance of at least 1 megaohm.

The DI box is what matches the impedance for you - thanks to it you can use your interfaces mic preamp input or even line input if the signal from your pickups is strong enough to not need any preamplification.

Let me guess. Saffire ?

Look for a DI box with an input impedance of at least 1 megaohm.

The DI box is what matches the impedance for you - thanks to it you can use your interfaces mic preamp input or even line input if the signal from your pickups is strong enough to not need any preamplification.

Yup... :(. Is the more the better, i.e. should I get one with 2 megaohms, or is there a perfect amount for the impedance of my pickups or what? Any in particular you would recommend?

Mathematically, the more the better, but then the quality of the box itself makes more a difference than the number.

I have the Countryman Type85, I can recommend it, it's indestructible and does the job pretty well. There are a few other options in this price range too.

If Countryman (or Radials) are too much for you, LA Audio DI2 is a cool DI box. I'm using it with my Saffire LE and I'm really happy with the sound I get.
As for the impedance - higher is usually better, but some of the praised ones have sub-1MOhm impedance and they still sound good.

If Countryman (or Radials) are too much for you, LA Audio DI2 is a cool DI box. I'm using it with my Saffire LE and I'm really happy with the sound I get.
As for the impedance - higher is usually better, but some of the praised ones have sub-1MOhm impedance and they still sound good.

Just pulled the trigger on a countryman before I saw this, hopefully it will save me money in the long run. Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I have a saffire as well and i have a 1M input on my box. I still have to lower the gain on my Pro24 which cuts the signal when I reamp it. Not really sure what to do about it. I could plug into the -16db and raise the gain but idk if that'll change anything.