DI comparison inside - which one do you prefer?

Which one do you prefer?

• A

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • B

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • C

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

FrancescoFiligoi

Count Blastula
Nov 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm experimenting with different chains to obtain the best possible DI quality, so I recorded this super boring riff just to showcase the differences during open chords and palm muting. DI signal is provided by three different chains:

- Axe Fx II (direct signal via USB)
- Countryman Type 10 DI box into RME Fireface UFX
- RME Fireface UFX front input

In random order, here they are for you to listen:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5864881/DI comparison/A.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5864881/DI comparison/B.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5864881/DI comparison/C.wav

Which one do you prefer? And now that we're at it....which is which?

PS: I did my best to level match them but there still might be some inconsistencies, also it's three different takes so obviously there are some inherent differences.

Thanks for your time :)

It seems that C should be Type 10, B is UFX Hi-Z and A is Axe FX II.
C has more highs, so it can be due to 10 MOhm impedance, B has less highs due to lower impedance of RME (traditional for RME stuff).

To me it sounds like C is the brightest of the three, while B is the dullest. The input impedance might be making a difference, since the Type 10 is rated to 10MOhm, the FFUFX to 800kOhm and the Axe-FX II has a variable input impedance (1MOhm max). However 99.9% of tube amplifiers has a 1MOhm input impedance so most pickup manufacturers probably design them accordingly, and to me it doesn't look like going from 1MOhm to 800kOhm will make such a big difference

I chose A

C seemed the brightest but A seemed a bit more balanced, had some lows and highs while C was mostly high.

What if I tell you B is the Countryman? I'm pretty bummed myself since I hoped to achieve way better quality with it, many pros use it and I'm not sure what's wrong.

A is Axe Fx II (which is not meant to be a DI in the first place) and C is RME front input.

Have to mention that when reamped there's not much difference actually, and B sounds tight and with upfront mids while C sounds more balanced and bigger lows.

Are you just running the Countryman into the RME preamp? That could be why. RME pres are pretty awful.

Yes how should I plug it in otherwise?

The RME front pre is actually the clearest one from the comparison, and it's derived from Micstacy pres which are highly regarded. It's the Countryman that doesn't sound as it should... :/

I just reamped and the difference between each one is so minimal, the most difference I hear are the difference on permormances. I'd use whatever, they sound equally good to me.

I think running the countryman into the line level inputs in the back of the RME bypasses the preamp. No?

I actually tried connecting both to the front mic input and to the rear line input with a XLR-TRS cable...no difference, actually I might prefer the rear line input one slightly.