any songs that use mathematical patterns

Necramentia

no stop go away
Feb 18, 2004
b.5
recommend em here! i know tool uses the fibonacci sequence in the vocals on one of their songs, i was wondering if anyone knew any other mathematical sequences/patterns applied to songs thanks!:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

well the obvious one is meshuggah, by using 2 different time signatures overlaid. eventually they will match up because of the math involved.
~gR~

it sounds like a fancy idea, but I find that sort of music kind of irritating, or at least what I've heard so far, as if they're just showing off that they can do the gimmick of playing to maths. But I'm sure there is some very great maths-based metal out there, which I haven't stumbled upon yet! :)

Who cares really.

1. It's not that mathematical, anyone can count and the Fibonacci sequence ain't exactly rocket science material

2. You hardly notice it, especially if your motivation is to enjoy the thing.

genocide roach said:
well the obvious one is meshuggah, by using 2 different time signatures overlaid. eventually they will match up because of the math involved.
~gR~
that's so fucken clever

not

I believe Vintersorg has a thing for math... It's in the content of his music, however, I don't know if he's ever used it as a structure of any sort.

Phrozenspite said:
Sculptured write using matrices i'm sure if you ask about it on the end forum they'd elaborate
but none of that stuff is even released yet correct

they did a twelve tone song on the first album it is stupid as ever living fuck

then again sculptured are actually out to make unlistenable music so wp i guess

supposedly Tool's Lateralus album (if played correctly) is supposed to be "mathmatical". I had this huge article that I posted in SOT a long time ago that explained it.

The_Isle said:
Who cares really.

1. It's not that mathematical, anyone can count and the Fibonacci sequence ain't exactly rocket science material
:tickled:
I think it originates from the idea of rabbits makng love, if you know what I mean ;)