Anyone know bands that use a Saxophone?

Wodahs

New Metal Member
Feb 27, 2010
Does anyone know any metal bands (I know bands like Pink Floyd uses a sax from time to time, but thats not really metal enough) that use a Saxophone?

Asking because I got a friend whos in a Jazz band, and I told her she should play some Metal with her band, but she said it couldnt really be done because they have a saxophone player with em.

Soo, anyone know any bands or just specifitic songs that feature a saxophone player? (It dosent have to be focused around the sax or anything).

*Hope someone know any so I dont have to eat my words again after saying its totally possible to do metal with a sax*

Suspyre uses some sax on A Great Divide. But it's just "look, I can play sax too, I'm so cool and progressive." Great album, though. Also, The Mass use sax as a lead instrument on City of Dis. They draw more on hardcore than metal, though, but in a cool and pretty metal way.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Dream Theater one (Another Day) and Crimson Glory ones are pretty decent.

Keep em comming if you have more ofcause.

While not metal at all, John Zorn's Naked City is good avant garde jazz with a lot of heavy rock and punk elements thrown in. And yes, there is plenty of saxophone wailing. Gutbucket is another avant garde jazz act with some crazy sax playing, and they utilize even more heavy guitar, along with the occasional skank and balst beats.

Suspyre uses some sax on A Great Divide. But it's just "look, I can play sax too, I'm so cool and progressive." Great album, though. Also, The Mass use sax as a lead instrument on City of Dis. They draw more on hardcore than metal, though, but in a cool and pretty metal way.

It's actually the other way around; I'm a saxophone player than was forced to slowly switch to guitar, mostly for the fact that I needed to play a polyphonic instrument. One note at a time wasn't doing it for me anymore, but I couldn't simply retire my saxophones.

That said, there is at least one song on each Suspyre album with a featured saxophone part, and I hope to make the instrument even more prevalent in upcoming releases.