Anyone Know Anything About Tracking Brass?

Nauru

Nov 1, 2009
I'm working with horns for the first time, this band has a saxophone player and a trumpeteer. I'm thinking just ldc at the end of each, but does anyone have any insight on the situation? It's for like, acoustic pop rock John Mayer Jason Mraz type stuff.

Sennheiser E608, SM57 (and related), and SM7 I remember reading were best for those. Google dynamic mics for brass really- Just because the dynamic mics could handle the higher spl I'd combine the dynamic being close up and then use the condenser quite a ways away and compress it. Not experience, but from reading about live concert band situations that's how I would approach it

I recorded saxophones a few times and I did the SM57 right in front of the hole (quite close) and a large diagram condenser further away (a meter or more). But the problem I faced was that those guys kept moving when playing, so your SM57's sound will probably change a lot depending on their position.

I find that ribbons are ideal for brass and woodwind instruments - the Royer R121 or something similar would be my first choice.

The Sennheiser MD421 and Shure SM7 are excellent too.

I feel the 57 is a bit too brash and (as said above) the sound can change too much if the player moves (which will happen).

I find that ribbons are ideal for brass and woodwind instruments - the Royer R121 or something similar would be my first choice.

The Sennheiser MD421 and Shure SM7 are excellent too.

I feel the 57 is a bit too brash and (as said above) the sound can change too much if the player moves (which will happen).

Good advice on mic choice!

I'm too lazy too type so I'll just link to this article which will give you some compact but good pointers towards placement:

http://mediamusicforum.com/recording-saxophones.html

MD421, anything Ribbon...U87...SM7...Beta 57..but to be honest you must try. I record brass all the time and one's trompet will sound good on this mic, and the other's trompet will sound terrible. But the main thing is making the player stay relatively at the same position and avoid the bursts of air that come out of brass instruments. Just position it somewhat angled and you're good to go.