Any thoughts on the new Pink Floyd re-masters?

LarryD

Feb 11, 2002
Rhode Island / USA
www.pmrising.com
In particular -

Dark Side of the Moon (again)
The Division Bell
Wish You Were Here

Not interested in the Immersion sets, just the sound of the re-mastered CD.......

Ken -- kindly stay out of this one........:lol:

Honestly, they sound just slightly better. I think the bass is rounder and more prominent and the mid-range got a bit of a boost. The good thing is that they did not turn up the sound to the point of pain as in some recent remastering jobs. The packaging itself is nothing special either unless you want to spring for the ultra special (read that "stupidly expensive") editions. My two cents...

I'm interested in this thread also. Do they sound better?

Of course they do, but then again everyone has their own opinion. It also depends what equipment you use to listen to it; for example, the quality of the stereo system, sound card, headphones, etc, etc.

There's definitely an improvement, though. The blu-ray audio sounds fantastic.

You can head over to brain-damage.co.uk if you want a more in-depth and detailed review of each immersion release which covers the main album remaster.

I've spent over $500 on all these Why Pink Floyd? releases and there's still a shitload more i'll drop for the other releases coming up; for instance, they're releasing a limited edition 3 7" single box set for Black Friday, a SACD for WYWH which is already out, The Wall DVD from Waters' The Wall tour, his DSOTM tour DVD, etc, etc.

I bought all the single album releases except for the "Dark Side of the Moon" which I chose the experience edition. Why? It included a live version of DSOTM. Imho I thought they sounded much better but not enough to get all the other versions. A guy has to draw the line somewhere. At least I do. I still need cash for new releases, etc. etc. I do think the single version releases was definitely worth it. :kickass:

Any release time frame on these?

Ah, i think i read and/or heard about a release date a while ago (when it was mentioned in a video interview with Roger), but i forgot, man. Sorry.

Brain-damage might have some info if you take the time to read about The Wall immersion.

I think they might release The Wall in a SACD format as well.

I have heard none of the remasters. I have a friend (with a nice high-end system) that bought the SACD of Wish You Were Here. He raved about it.

I have heard none of the remasters. I have a friend (with a nice high-end system) that bought the SACD of Wish You Were Here. He raved about it.

Wow I can just Imagine what ""Meddle"':headbang: must sound Like........And ""The Division Bell"":kickass:

Picked up ---

Momentary Lapse of Reason & The Division Bell.

Both are re-mastered wonderfully, although the heavily triggered drums are way out in the big time now, but if that doesn't bother you, these 2 discs sound fantastic. All the little sound effects you couldn't hear before are now audible and Gilmour vocals are clear and pristine (they were good to start with but now better)

I'll probably get "Wish You Were Here" and that will be about it, but all in all it was worth it to get the re-masters (already have 2 versions of Dark Side).