Anybody going to/been to Wacken?

metal71

Jul 19, 2002
Las Vegas
www.lasvegasmetal.com
I'm making my first trip to the Wacken Open Air this summer, just looking for suggestions. Not crazy about 3 days of camping, would like to know of any nearby towns where I could find a hotel. Transportation info would be great as well, not sure if there are bus lines or trains that get close to the festival. It's been difficult finding this specific information, let alone in English. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I went to wacken this year and iam going back next year too :)

erm...theres some hotels in hamburg but thats about 1 hour from festival site....and cause ill probaly book with Argon Events ill get transportation to and from the site. :)

I'd also like to make that trip one year. I am probably going to study abroad in Sweden or Norway next year and just stay during the summer so I might be able to take a train or bus to Wacken. I haven't even looked into much information as when I checked before it was very vague. I am also not too thrilled about camping for 3 days, but to see the lineup would be worth it. :) Good luck, and if you happen to stumble across any info please post it here.

By the way, nice Now Playing...That album is so amazing. I got him to autograph is as well as my others. He was such a cool guy. :)

Originally posted by rgbeach
Me and a bud are going this year. Probably going to stay in Hamburg and take the train into Wacken each day. Can't wait!

The problem with that plan is that the final train to Hamburg leaves earlier than the event is over, so if the last bands of each night are ones you want to see, too bad. Also, I've heard nightmare stories about the line to get in each morning (upwards of 2 hours). I'm also not inclined to "rough it" for 3 days, but that's starting to look like the only option. :rolleyes: Me & 3 mates are absolutely making the trip next year, especially since I'll be in Europe anyway! In fact, my girlfriend rocks so much, she said I can go to Tuska in Helsinki as soon as we get to Finland as well (she'll be visiting her grandparents while I headbang with her cousin)!

So anyway, back on topic, you might want to look into very close towns bed-n-breakfasts or something like that. I know that many hotels are already booking up quickly. Rats, I hate being a Wacken newbie! GRRR!

I flew from Chicago to Wacken in 2000 and 2001. The first year I used Bock Tours, which was great. They picked me up in Hamburg, took the bus (filled with beer and a lot of cool people) to Itzehoe, and dropped me off at the hotel door. Itzehoe is about 20 minutes from the village of Wacken and there is a pickup spot in Itzehoe where a shuttle bus will take you to the festival. It was nice to have a bed to come back to after headbanging for 15+ hours a day!

In 2001 I camped with a few German friends of mine, which was an interesting experinece to say the least! It was an absolute blast (we camped again this past summer at the Bang Your Head! festival in Balingen). The pros are that you are right there and the atmosphere is fantastic (hard to describe if you haven't gone). The cons are that a tent doesn't take the place of a warm bed, and you are at the mercy of the weather. Thankfully the times I went there wasn't any rain. Hope this helps.

Pat