Have you ever been to Wacken before?

Jolty

Monochromatic Stains
Dec 27, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.last.fm
Well, have you? What was it like?

I'm planning to gather a few of my metal brethren and attend Wacken in 2008 (not 2007), and I'm responsible for organizing the purchase of tickets and finding a group so that we can camp on the grounds. However, I've never been before, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I need confirmation on what I've been told. Is the age limit set at 16 or 18? My youngest friends will be 17 by then, and I'd really like them to come.

Secondly, how exactly does one go about finding a group of 150 or more so that we can camp on-grounds? I'd imagine that, at the most, I'll be able to gather 10 people. Do any of you know of a group of nice individuals who are planning to go in 2008, and who will let us join up with them? (I don't want to stay in a hotel, because it is expensive, far-away and it seems like I'd be missing part of the experience.)

Third, how much does Wacken typically cost? How much do the festival tickets cost ($160?), and how much should plane tickets from Alberta, Canada cost ($1700, or something ridiculous like that)? How much should we put aside for food, beer and merch? What else will we need to pay for there? How much does transportation from Hamburg to Wacken cost, and what does it entail? And most importantly, when do we need to have the tickets by? Will they be sold out by March 2008?

Can you give me any other information? Feel free to share your (positive or negative) experiences, too. I've been reading a lot about it, and I'm very excited about going. Are any of you going to go in 2008?

The camping is open for everybody, no need to be like 150. You just have to arrive a few days before the festival starts to have a place.
This year, the ticket costs 99euros.
I dont think there is an age limit, but i am not sure.
Plane ticket, i would says probabily like 1000 euros (for going and come back). You should try to search online, there are websites that can show you prices. sometimes it is possible to find cheaper flights.
For food, i buy everything at home before, so it is not so expensive. There is a supermarket in the village (if you know how to go there, or find someone who can show you). I dont really remember how much we paid.
I cant tell you the price of the train ticket either, because it is not on the website of the company... probabily something like 20 euros (to go and come back). In fact you have to take the train until a small village called Itzehoe, and then, there are busses from the station to Wacken.

Wait until Taliesin comes back, he could probabily tell you a lot more, since he's been there several times.

My Wacken ticket from 2006 says the age limit is 16, but better check www.wacken.com for official information.
Tickets cost 100 euros at www.metaltix.de and normally arent sold out until about a month before, if at all. I think last year it was about a week or 2 before the festival started.

There are special camp grounds that you can book with a group of.. 50 I think. But if you show up on place early(!) on wednesday or before, you should have no problem to get a really good spot.
Like she said, there's a supermarket in town, so if you have camping equipment, you can buy cans and stuff there. It's a long walk though, a 5l cask of beer sure gets heavy on the way :D

For merch Id say expect 20 euros for a shirt and 35-40 euros for a hoodie, cd's are around 15.

Hope I could help ^^

Woa 2007 will be my 6th.. and maybe my last. Should I change universities, it may be too far and too expensive to go there in 2008 and once Im done studying I think my festival days will be over

I think if we ever got another forum reunion together again, I might try to go. I'm working - so I have money now - and I think I could convince the fiancee to come along, especially if it wound up being near Gothenburg. What with all the nano- and micro-systems stuff there. :) But Wacken would still be quite an experience. I just hope I eventually do it. (Perhaps I'll be able to get her to trade... ST convention for Wacken...)

~kov.

I think if we ever got another forum reunion together again, I might try to go. I'm working - so I have money now - and I think I could convince the fiancee to come along, especially if it wound up being near Gothenburg. What with all the nano- and micro-systems stuff there. :) But Wacken would still be quite an experience. I just hope I eventually do it. (Perhaps I'll be able to get her to trade... ST convention for Wacken...)

Fuckin-A: you couldn't show up for an IN FLAMES concert when it was 2 blocks away in NYC :heh:

Ok, that was pretty funny. She was feeling hella sick that night, though, so I stayed home to take care of her. The truly funny thing was that I picked up some food and movies for her - the movies were from the Hollywood video across the street from the venue :p

~kov.

I know, haha. I just can't imagine what a DT Forum meeting would be like if me and you showed up. Probably more funny (i.e., me drunker) if the fiancee wasn't there, but it'd still be fun regardless.

Actually I take that back. I'm pretty fucking boring. I guess it would be up to you, then.

~kov.

I'm rather subtle lately, so you better bring over your sweetheart - I'm rather active around attractive girls (so you can judge how attractive she is by my activitinessss).

Giddyup!

Hahahaha, ok. She tends to tone it down for concerts and such, but that still doesnt' do a hell of a lot. We'll have to see :)

Or maybe one of these days I'll actually post a pic of both of us...

~kov.

Thanks, Dark Silence and Taliesin, that was really helpful. The thing about camping is a relief. The website wasn't very clear, and made it seem like you had to be in a group of 150 (or 50) in order to camp on the grounds.

Actually on topic:

How is the camping there, if anyone knows? As in - pretty decent as long as it doesn't rain? Lots of insects? Generally shitty weather?

And how about those bathrooms? :p

~kov.

I read "incests"... boy, DS surely looks like Taliesin without beard if you think about it!

Whoever showers at Wacken - is NOT tr00. Local custom.