Question for anyone that has gone to Wacken...

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
I am going to buy 2 tickets for Wacken 2008 next week. I need some advice for people that have gone from the US before. I can't figure out what would be the best airport to fly into and was wondering what airfare has cost others that have gone. Also is it best to sleep at a hotel and shuttle in or sleep at the campground? If you have any general tips please let me know. Thanks in advance.

DarkTide, Dark One, my wife and I went last year. You're going to want to fly in and out of Hamburg, which is about an hour away. As for airfare, it's tough to say. You're probably looking at close to $1,000 round trip, per ticket. You may be able to do better, but with the rising cost of oil, it's unlikely.

The hotel/camp ground question is one only you can answer. We paid about $200 a night to stay at a hotel that was 25 minutes away. The camp ground is obviously significantly cheaper, plus, you don't have to worry about driving. Unfortunately, the camp grounds look like a plague has hit the earth. So long as no one in your group really wants to sleep, and you don't mind the overwhelming stench of urine, the camp grounds should be fine.

Zod

Thanks Zod. I'll most likely be going by myself since all my friends aren't big metal fans. I don't mind at least it will make the decision making easier haha.

2 questions for you. Did you fly out of Newark and what airline? Also was parking and leaving the fest a pain each day? because I don't think I can handle the grossness of camping.

Newark is probably where you would leave from. Continental was my original airline, but I got lucky and was sent direct from Chicago on United after some weather delays in Newark.

The parking wasn't bad .. most of the cars that are there don't leave each evening, so the traffic isn't bad at all. The walk to the car wasn't all that short of a jaunt, but nothing too tough.

Britt

Thanks Zod. I'll most likely be going by myself since all my friends aren't big metal fans. I don't mind at least it will make the decision making easier haha.
Going alone shouldn't be an issue. If you're a social person, you'll meet a ton of folks. I was shocked how interested most people were to talk to Americans.

2 questions for you. Did you fly out of Newark and what airline?
Yes, but we flew Virgin Atlantic to London, hung in London for a few days, flew to Amsterdam, hung there for a week, than drove to Germany in a rental. On the way back, we flew British Airways from Hamburg to London, and Virgin Atlantic from London to JFK (<--- don't ask).

Also was parking and leaving the fest a pain each day? because I don't think I can handle the grossness of camping.
As Britt said, it wasn't bad. However, we were parking in the VIP lot. The VIP lot is set up so that you don't have to fight traffic on your way in or out. So, I'm not sure we're the best folks to ask about that.

I think if I was going myself, I might rent a van. You're going to need to rent a car if you go the hotel route. This way, you can park in the camping area and sleep in the van.

Zod

Oh yeah .. I forgot we were VIP's. The parking for us was pretty much in and out. I sure didn't notice much in the way of traffic in and around the fest, so that might bode well for you.

Britt

DarkTide, Dark One, my wife and I went last year. You're going to want to fly in and out of Hamburg, which is about an hour away. As for airfare, it's tough to say. You're probably looking at close to $1,000 round trip, per ticket. You may be able to do better, but with the rising cost of oil, it's unlikely.

The hotel/camp ground question is one only you can answer. We paid about $200 a night to stay at a hotel that was 25 minutes away. The camp ground is obviously significantly cheaper, plus, you don't have to worry about driving. Unfortunately, the camp grounds look like a plague has hit the earth. So long as no one in your group really wants to sleep, and you don't mind the overwhelming stench of urine, the camp grounds should be fine.

Zod

I've stayed on the campgrounds twice, and would never even think about staying in a hotel at Wacken. Never had any trouble getting to sleep, and the smells aren't too strong.

I've stayed on the campgrounds twice, and would never even think about staying in a hotel at Wacken. Never had any trouble getting to sleep, and the smells aren't too strong.
There are quite a few folks who would agree with you. The vast majority of folks who go to Wacken, camp there. However, I don't camp... period. My idea of roughing it, is when the hotel doesn't have ESPN2.

Zod

VS, I have done the trip twice to Wacken by myself. I did it a little differently than the persons above me. There is a company out of England called Argon Events (www.argonevents.com) and they sale package deals that include a hotel room and bus transportation to and from the fest. The hotels they use are located in Hamburg along the Reeperbahn, the world famous red light district in Hamburg. It's a really cool place to visit, and it's not like most red light disctrict in the States. Sure, there are some crazy shops along the street, but there are also lots of shopping to be had. You are also not too far away from the harbor area of the city, and lots of other sight seeing opportunities. I think the best part about the package deal is you don't need to rent a car. You can take public transportation (a small bus ride and then the subway) to a block away from the hotel. The bus to the fest leaves early enough to get there for the first band and leaves after the last band plays.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Be careful with public transportation. Not necessarily referring to the set up eppst1 used. However, when we pulled into Itzehoe (the town where most of the hotels near Wacken are) on Wednesday, there were thousands and thousands and thousands of folks waiting for the bus to take them to Wacken. Part of the reason is, the highway that you need to take to Wacken becomes an absolute parking lot on Wednesday, starting in the early afternoon and lasting to the wee hours of the evening/next morning. And when I say "parking lot", I mean parking lot. People had actually taken out their lawn chairs and had set them up on the highway.

In essence, if you plan to camp and check in to the camp grounds on Wednesday, plan to experience traffic like you've never experienced before.

Zod

I am thinking of going in 2009. This is my dream to go to Wacken. I enjoy camping but I think for my first time going I will stay at a hotel. I enjoy my sleep after a night of drinking and metal.

In essence, if you plan to camp and check in to the camp grounds on Wednesday, plan to experience traffic like you've never experienced before.

Good advice guys. One way around the issue I quoted above is to check in a day early on Tuesday (if you're camping out or staying in the small town of Wacken). Everyone comes in on Wednesday and the highway is not designed to handle the type of traffic that only comes once a year.

When Zod, his wife, DarkTide and I headed out from Itzehoe (from our hotel) to the festival grounds on Wednesday, that's when we ran into the traffic jam. Fortunately, an exit was right behind the caboose of the jam and we were able to get off the highway and head back to Itzehoe for a night that ended up turning out to be a lot of fun.

Jason

Read today that Kamelot was added to the bill to play at Wacken 2008
We have decided to go next year. Was originally going to stay at a hotel but was thinking of renting a camper. You guys that have gone did you notice if a lot of people rent campers instead of staying in a tent?

Read today that Kamelot was added to the bill to play at Wacken 2008
We have decided to go next year. Was originally going to stay at a hotel but was thinking of renting a camper. You guys that have gone did you notice if a lot of people rent campers instead of staying in a tent?

A camper? I don't remember seeing any, but never thought to look (or felt the need to trek over any additional part of the camp ground above what I had to to get from the Snakenet camp to the festival are/showers).

Did see people sleeping in vans/cars though. Mostly people in tents.

We looked into the camper route, but didn't have much luck finding one. That said, I don't think we put a great deal of effort into it.

Zod

Be careful with public transportation. Not necessarily referring to the set up eppst1 used. However, when we pulled into Itzehoe (the town where most of the hotels near Wacken are) on Wednesday, there were thousands and thousands and thousands of folks waiting for the bus to take them to Wacken. Part of the reason is, the highway that you need to take to Wacken becomes an absolute parking lot on Wednesday, starting in the early afternoon and lasting to the wee hours of the evening/next morning. And when I say "parking lot", I mean parking lot. People had actually taken out their lawn chairs and had set them up on the highway.

Zod

The bus I was on from Hamburg to Wacken was a chartered bus and things ran real smooth. We did get to the festival late on Saturday becuase of an accident on the freeway. We ended up being an hour late which made me miss Metal Church. They were on time at the hotel and on time at the festival all the other times though.
I did use public transportation (bus and subway) from the airport to the hotel. Again, things were very smooth except for the drunk guy spilling beer on me Sunday morning when I was leaving.
This way worked very well for me because I didn't have to rent a car and couldn't find a hotel near the festival. Plus, I didn't want to camp and wanted to sleep in a warm bed and take a hot shower in the morning.
I don't remember seeing any campers in the campground either.

I asked on the wacken forum and a few said people do bring campers but there is no hookup so a generator is needed. I emailed a few camper companies but since it is peak season there is a minimum of 14 day rental for all campers. Its great to start early so I dont have to rush in my planning. I wouldnt mind camping but worried about the sleep aspect and going to the bathroom and I dont think my wife would want to wander around in the middle of the night looking for the bathroom.
Will find some hotels that are close and take a taxi back in forth. I think I saw on the map there is a taxi stand there.

I asked on the wacken forum and a few said people do bring campers but there is no hookup so a generator is needed. I emailed a few camper companies but since it is peak season there is a minimum of 14 day rental for all campers. Its great to start early so I dont have to rush in my planning. I wouldnt mind camping but worried about the sleep aspect and going to the bathroom and I dont think my wife would want to wander around in the middle of the night looking for the bathroom.
Will find some hotels that are close and take a taxi back in forth. I think I saw on the map there is a taxi stand there.
Here's a useful link I looked at a few times. It may help you in your planning and whatnot. It's a couple years old now, but the info is still good from what I can tell.

http://www.noofficialcapacity.net/NoC/Features/How_To_Wacken.htm