People who've been to Wacken.

It cost me around $10,000 for a trip to Europe for two months which included the majority of accomodation (and the rest I put on a credit card) as well as three festivals (Graspop, Earthshaker and Wacken), food, drink, beer (deserves a separate catergory away from drink) and shitloads of merch (including cds, dvds, and shirts).

that's pretty good going man!
i'm going for one month and i'll have around $4k spending money with me. if i run out i'm going to put the rest on credit card. who knows...

edit: i should probably add that i've already spent $2500 on plane tickets, $200 on wacken tickets and i'm about to invest $400 in a railpass...so all up about $7k it's costing me so far

Throw all your accomodation on the credit card dude, just so you've got that money for spending. Then if you don't spend it all, you can use it to pay of some of the card when you get back.

I plan on doing a trip to Europe (yes, for Wacken) in 2009. I can't wait :kickass:

My thoughts exactly!
Next year is the Fests 20th anniversary so i wonder how the hell they are gonna make it special and even top this year ? (MAIDEN/ CARCASS / AT THE GATES)
Perhaps they'll get the original line up of TM back together to play "The last horizon" in full with the extended 20 minute version of "The Dawn Of Defeat"? That would be pretty special? (for say 6 out of the 50,000 in attendance.:))

I'm buying tickets for 2009 as soon as they go on sale, all you dudes on this forum should make the journey next year. Just don't take a holiday from your jobs for a whole year you will have plenty of money and time it will be awesome :headbang:

what the costs are roughly for spending a month or two in Germany for the event + holiday.

We went to a few countries and festivals and as a guide set aside $100 per day.

I recommend you also do MetalCamp in Slovenia the week before Wacken, it is way better than Wacken in location and I imagine the AUD/Euro will get you further.

Where else in the world can you jump out of the water and stroll along to the stage half wet in your boardies and thongs to watch Jon Oliva's Pain?

Here is one of the bars:

IMG_0053.jpg

Shots of the water:

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Note the scenery behind the car park, the mountains are all around you:

IMG_0052.jpg

If you're feeling a bit tired after a swim, watch the show from the hill:

IMG_0091.jpg

The stage:

IMG_0056.jpg

I also didn't have any problem at any time getting close to the stage although it did get rather packed at night:

IMG_0059.jpg

Jon Oliva's Pain

IMG_0108.jpg

My Dying Bride.

More to read here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/lord-off-topic/264370-metalcamp-07-now-week-long.html

s

Metalcamp looks like it is way better than Wacken.

Slovenia is beautiful.

You don't have to ask me which one I would prefer to go to?

The pictures speak for themselves.

The good thing is you can do both, there is also Evolution festival in Italy and from the pics it also looks better than Wacken but I can't say what it is like as I haven't been.

Wacken is the biggest and definitely worth going just to say you have experienced it but with more people you get more queues, have to pay for the toilets, etc. the weather there is not always the best, I remember listening to Doro & Rose Tattoo from inside my tent with heavy rain pelting down for hours, it was only around for the first night & thankfully it cleared the next day. The Germans are very efficient when I got to the stage area the next day they had delivered bales that morning and laid hay on the grounds, it was better sitting/standing on it than just grass or dirt.

Everything about Metalcamp was better than Wacken some of the same bands also played both shows.

My advice, go to both and see for yourself.

s

Yea metalcamp does look awesome.
Funny, I coulda sworn I seen those pics last time you posted them somewhere :p

If I had the money to go travelling, I would go for sure.

as a guide set aside $100 per day.

I have to add that I went as part of a group so accommodation, taxis, etc. were all shared and I didn't buy too much to bring back.

Double that if you go on your own and plan to buy heaps.

We also spent time in many countries, some cheaper than Germany some more expensive, the further north you go the more expensive it is.

s

shane and I are most probably going to Europe and Lebanon in June/ July 09. We won't be going to wacken though. There's at least 5 other better festivals in Europe around that time.

I can't wait!