Update on Wacken 2008 and Camp California Idea

Moshking

Aug 1, 2002
Azusa, CA
www.moshking.com
Thanks to everyone who expressed interest in the idea I had for Wacken 2008. If you haven’t seen my review of Wacken 2006, please visit http://www.moshking.com/reviews/2006shows/wacken2006/. The festival truly lives up to the hype as the best Metal Fest in the world.

In an earlier Moshking.com newsletter, I had expressed interest in reserving an army size tent with Wacken 2008 organizers by gathering 50 people at the festival for what might have been called Camp California.

Unfortunately, the new requirement for a tent and camp ground reservation is now 150 people. I might have been able to gather 50 people together for Camp California, but not 150.

HOWEVER, I am still going. It looks as if there are a ton of people from Southern California who are going as well. Thus, I am sure many of us will still hang out, even if we are scattered over the camp areas, the beer garden, the Metal Market, and the show areas. Further, Southern California’s very own Warbringer has just been added to Wacken 2008. This is on top of Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Kreator, At The Gate, and tons of other greats.

I have received many questions about how much I think it will cost to get to Wacken 2008. Here is a rough break down:

- For Wacken 2006, the flight was $1427 [LAX to Hamburg via London]. I purchased the ticket less than 2 months before Wacken 2006. I could have saved lots by purchasing earlier. By the way, stay the hell away from London Heathrow if you can.

- The WOA 2008 ticket alone will be around $160 [US]/109 Euros [roughly]. Trust me. It is worth the price.

- The amount of money you need for food and beverages depends on how long you stay in Germany/Europe. But for the few days of the festival, you probably don't need more than $200, if even that.

Whether you go or not or are still deciding, GET OR RENEW YOUR PASSPORT NOW. You never know when you will need it. Hope to see you there.
Denis :headbang:

PS. Other veterans of Wacken, please chime in with your experiences or suggestions to those who haven’t been yet, but wish to go.

Hey Dennis...I have my ticket for this years Festival..Travelling to Norway first..then Stockholm..from there to Hamburg to rent a car a drive to Wacken.
Is going to be killer..maybe this year will see each other there!
stay metal

Yeah denis..thats a good idea...we have a group of 8 people..so makes sense..we can rent 2 cars..and share the cost...are you camping this year?.
We can set a nice camp..so far the group i have is people from MEXICO, FRANCE, FINLAND and of course USA...so its a nice eclectic group..everybody into METAL!! its going to be a Blast.
Bye
Carlos

Me and another friend are gonna be making our first trip to Wacken this year. SOOO EXCITED!!

Anyways, are there any tips or advice? We're trying to plan this out, but are overwhelmed by trying to plan everything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!