Anyone a fan of Shadows Fall?

Ya, there was a similar thread here about a month ago. Most people seemed to like them, but others didn't seem thrilled. I thought "Art Of Balance" was amazing, but "Of One Blood" was just average IMO.

It was interesting to read those reviews. Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that they are in my top 5 list of best bands "still jamming" today. Testament is number 1.

The thing I like about Shadows Fall is that they have very talented musicians that can put together songs with a beat! There are too many talented musicians out there in bands that have no direction. After listening to each individual song I find myself saying, "and what was the purpose of that song?....To show off?"

I bought The Art of Balance last week and while the music is good (although I'm not thrilled by it), the vocals let it down for me. If he actually sang a bit and didn't bark through most of the songs, it would be a lot better IMO.

progmetalgod, what kind of music / vocalists do you typically listen to? Just curious. I don't hear any "barking" on the CD. He actually sings a lot in my opinion. If you clasify that as barking, I assume you probably hate bands like Sepultura or albums like Testament's "Demonic". Correct?

@progmetalgod: Shadows Falls vocs seem to sound pretty different to different ppl, personally i love them actually.
He is a great vocalist melodically and is really good at mixing aggressiveness with clean vocs.

My fave vocalists are Russell Allen (Symphony X) and James LaBrie (Dream Theater) but saying that I loved Testament and Sepultura years before I even heard of those guys, so you are wrong in that assumption. I have no problem with growling as long as it is done with some conviction like say Opeth, Death and Sepultura. IMO the Shadows Fall vocalist shouts his way through most of the songs which ruins what could be a good band. Growling is one thing when it enhances the heaviness but I can't stand shouting.

I understand what you mean now. I guess you would call it shouting since it's not growling and it's not singing but to me, he sounds exactly how I would want my vocalist to sound.

I'm not big into metalcore "excuse me waiter, bu it seems there's some hardcore in my metal, would you please have it remade without the lame brakdowns and crappy vocals?"