Anyone being listening to the new Dream Theater samples?

Thematt202

May 11, 2011
Chesterfield
DT has been posting 1 minute samples from the new album on the Roadrunner Records YouTube channel. In my humble opinion, the new album sounds incredible so I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen any related discussion on this forum. What do you all think of DT in general and for the fans, how are you liking the new snippets?

Links:

Beneath the Surface - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSgnaNhv7Q&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Breaking all Illusions -

Bridges in the Sky - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrrapMGIx8&feature=feedu[/ame]

And of course the single, On the Backs of Angels - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I like the samples. On The Backs Of Angels has been growing on me, though it still hasn't blown me away. I'm cautiously optimistic about ADTOE because everyone (as always) is hyping it up. I remember when Portnoy hyped up Black Clouds & Silver Linings (by saying there's a mixture of all their past epics on it) and although that was true to a certain extent, only two of the songs have aged well to me, two of them are so-so, and two of them I just can't stand.

So I'm going into this one with lowered expectations and I'm not letting the hype get to me. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Mangini can do, and whether or not they'll tone down the br00tality and stranglehold Portnoy had on everything. The samples give me the impression that there will be more of a classic 90s DT vibe, so here's hoping.

I remember Portnoy's comments about BCaSL, slightly off the mark but nevertheless a great album. The only tracks I don't love are A Rite of Passage and The Shattered Fortress. I honestly think Mangini is the best thing that could have happened to the band after Portnoy's announcement and I can't wait to hear his contributions on future recordings.

Have you caught any of the live shows yet 1928?

Edit - I seem to recall that you are based in the US, so the question should be are you planning on seeing any of the upcoming shows?

Yup, I'm in the US! I'm going to try to catch Dream Theater, but since the tickets look a little pricey and it's in the same month as Opeth (which is also pricey) and both concerts are 2-3 hours away (so gas is another expense) I'm going to have a really tough time deciding which to catch...

I'm pretty glad Portnoy's out of the band now, to be honest - not meaning for that to sound rude but I definitely think it'll allow the rest of the band to breathe free musically. Portnoy even said himself that he always gets his way in the band... that's not the way it should be.

Haven't listened to any of the samples (although heard the full version of On the Backs of Angels), as I'm waiting for the album

Don't usually find listening to samples a good indication of a song, especially if its a band like DT that features multiple time changes and sections within a song

1928 - I've never been able to get into Opeth, but I'd like to as my brother wants me to go see them with him in November. Any recommendations for a good album to persist with? My bro isn't a fan either, he's going for Pain of Salvation - another band I don't really rate!

1928 - I've never been able to get into Opeth, but I'd like to as my brother wants me to go see them with him in November. Any recommendations for a good album to persist with? My bro isn't a fan either, he's going for Pain of Salvation - another band I don't really rate!

Not a fan of Pain of Salvation so I can sympathize there, but Opeth is a bit tricky. If you're not a fan of growling vocals, check out Damnation - it's a very mellow, relaxed album with very soft vocals, almost lullaby-ish at times. All acoustic, it's not a very heavy album. Also, their new album, Heritage, will have no growling vocals. Check out the songs Windowpane (from Damnation) and The Devil's Orchard (from Heritage - it was released a while ago). No growls but they're proggy, dark songs... especially The Devil's Orchard.

If you're into growling vocals, check out Blackwater Park. It's metal, it has soft stuff, it's consistently rated as one of the best metal albums out there in fact. Mikael's growling is some of the best out there.

If you're somewhere in the middle, get Watershed - it has some growling but a lot of clean singing, and it's their latest album before Heritage. Lots of mellotrons and 70s prog stuff in it, which is the direction Heritage is going in.

I highly recommend all three of those albums, but definitely check out Damnation, because it's almost always the album that people start with when they want to ease into Opeth.

I'd also like to add that in my opinion, Opeth's 'Still Life' Album is a must listen. Perhaps not the most accessible but in my opinion it's their best album and a classic album of Metal in general.

Agreed! Once you get into Opeth you really can't go wrong with any of their albums, though they've evolved quite a bit since their early days.

Much like Dream Theater!

Thanks so much for the guidance guys, I don't mind growling vocals but for me they work best as a means of adding contrast to a lighter, softer passage. I will do some listening and report back soon!!

Opeth does a wonderful job of that. Watershed is an incredibly atmospheric album and I think you'd enjoy that based on your last post. Definitely keep us posted! :D

I find it interesting that, almost a year later, some of the DT members are finally speaking out about Portnoy's deathgrip on the band. Yeah, the other guys composed the music and wrote lyrics but it was pretty evident (mainly through the last two albums with Portnoy) that he was getting more and more of his influence. Hell, he's even said himself that he always gets his way in the band, so the only reason I'm surprised is how Jordan's statement sounds kind of bitter. But this is only text, so I'm probably reading too far into it.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go see them this October, can't wait!