Dream Theater - New album title revealed

I'd go with Images and Words as a start for sure but for me they are one of those bands it's actually worth following in sequence but don't forget the debut "When Dream and Day Unite"......yes it's a different singer and the band are (comparatively) finding their feet but not one to be missed.

Reactions: Kingface
Nice one, thanks everyone for the recommendations. I've added the 3 you've stated.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to buy their albums. I'll let you know when I've listened to them. Cheers again everyone.

Reactions: Kingface
I'd go with Images and Words as a start for sure but for me they are one of those bands it's actually worth following in sequence but don't forget the debut "When Dream and Day Unite"......yes it's a different singer and the band are (comparatively) finding their feet but not one to be missed.

Good point. I haven't listened to it in a long time but remember it being a very good album. Someone I used to work with who was a fan of DT had the first album down as his favourite from their back catalogue.

Scenes From a Memory is one of their very best, along with the new one. The Astonishing is fantastic, but quite a departure from their core sound.

Images and Words and Awake are both good, but nothing special IMO (controversial!). Both albums have tracks that I just can't get into (Take the Time, Learning to Live, 6 O Clock, Caught in a Web and a few others).

The debut album came today. I've had a little stem, seems pretty good so far. Will be giving it a few more spins. Images and words is on it's way. Cheers for the recommendations

Agreed on "Black Clouds....." Any album that features a song like "The Count of Tuscany" gets my coin any day of the week :)

Controversial indeed Mr Matt re Images and Words......this has to be in my Top 5 albums of all time as the whole thing for me is just genius :)

If I had to rank Dream Theater's albums, this is about how it looks in 2016, from favorite to least favorite:

AMAZING
1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2. Images & Words
3. Octavarium
4. Falling Into Infinity
------------------------------
GREAT
5. The Astonishing
6. Awake
7. Scenes From A Memory
8. A Dramatic Turn of Events
DECENT
9. Train of Thought
10. Systematic Chaos
POOR
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Dream Theater
13. When Dream and Day Unite

The Astonishing is moving around though and is probably going to enter 'amazing' and round out the top 5. I am loving it so much.