Anyone else use pink noise to position mics?

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Lately I have been using a pink noise generator feeding my reamp box into the amp then positioning a 57 by sweeping the cone and finding the point of best clarity (usually a millimeter or 2 outside the harsh fizz of the dustcap).
Then reversing the phase on a second channel then sweeping a 421 to find the most cancellation then turning off the phase reverse.

This method is getting me much better sounds because I find that when sweeping the mic with a guitar signal (especially with the rest of the mix playing back too) I tend to end up with the guitars too bright.
Anyone else use this method?

It's probably less of a hassle to just plug in a guitar cable and have someone touch the other end of it. Same results though.

Friends of mine have claimed that they have found different mic positions to be the best with different amps (using the finger-method). Havent tried it myself and don't really get the science behind it... Shouldn't the best position - once found - be the same for every amp? I mean after all you are checking out the cabinet/speakers with this method.

I've not tried this, but my only criticism is that I don't listen to albums in pink-noise+reverse phase form, so the important part is that it sounds good in the end.

Do want MD421 to pair with my 57s, though!

Lately I have been using a pink noise generator feeding my reamp box into the amp then positioning a 57 by sweeping the cone and finding the point of best clarity (usually a millimeter or 2 outside the harsh fizz of the dustcap).
Then reversing the phase on a second channel then sweeping a 421 to find the most cancellation then turning off the phase reverse.

This method is getting me much better sounds because I find that when sweeping the mic with a guitar signal (especially with the rest of the mix playing back too) I tend to end up with the guitars too bright.

Im usualy just feeding in a guitar signal (i always figured it made most sence to be listening to the music you will be recording as opposed to pink noise), sweeping a 57 untill i find the point where im getting the most clarity then il stick with it.

Il leave it for 10 or 15 min to rest my ears then il check some ref tones on my daw record a 20 sec clip and compare tones il adjust the amp now if its not bright enough or has too much low mids (my two biggest problems in my raw tones)

But iv got some reamping to do this week i might try the pink noise trick and see how it plays out.

Im also using the polarity reverse button a lot to check for phase when i multi mic although when using fredman tecnique i rarley have any phase problems only when i try condensors a foot or two back will i get phase issues.

i do this but just by cranking the gain on the preamp so i can REALLY hear what the mic is getting.

Hang on, you guys check the sound from the cab?

I just throw a 57 and record teh br00talz.

Pink noise works better than touching a guitar cable because it contains lots of high mids.
I put the master volume of the amp just high enough to hear the pink noise cut through then crank the mic pre and use closed headphones.
I understand why people would think an actual guitar signal is what you are recording so why use pink noise, but pink noise is VERY consistent letting you sweep without changing guitar chords getting in the way or any other variables interfering. Very slight movements are very apparent.
I am off tomorrow so I will record the process of feeding pink noise and positioning the 2 mics and then a clip of the resulting guitar sound (if I have time). The Metallica session (Day that never comes) I posted would probably work well.

I do this too. I set my first mic listening to the actual amp so I can get the sound I'm looking for. Then I set my 2nd mic this way to avoid phase issues. Then I record a sample and see if I like the combo. I might do it with a couple mics or end up just using one but this makes it a hell of a lot easier to find a good placement for the 2nd mic. :)

i use this method as well, i got the technique down from the sound on sound article.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09/articles/loudelectricguitar.htm

it works awesome to phase align a 2nd mic or 3rd or 4th.

by getting this technique down u are really able to easily experiment with diff combo of mics, much easier than randomly guessing till it sounds good, u can play with whatever combo and position and never really worry about phase.

if u got a reamp box give it a go.

I am off tomorrow so I will record the process of feeding pink noise and positioning the 2 mics and then a clip of the resulting guitar sound (if I have time). The Metallica session (Day that never comes) I posted would probably work well.
Looking forward to this. Thanks!