Anyone ever been to Download Festival in the UK before?

headcrash

New Metal Member
Oct 25, 2010
Two of my best friends are doing a study placement in Manchester and they want me to go to England for Download Festival next year. Has anyone been? What did you think?

I went for a day in 2004 and the whole weekend in 2006, haven't been back since though.

It's a big festival, the capacity is around 80,000 these days. Lineup is pretty varied - it's definitely a 'rock' festival rather than a 'metal' festival. Metal usually plays a big part though. Donington Park is a legendary arena for rock, so in that respect it's worth visiting at least once.

In all honesty though, I didn't find the atmosphere to be that great. Way too many idiots who think its a good idea to set (other people's) things on fire in the campsite, and generally a lack of mutual respect that needs to exist at rock festivals.

If you're looking for a metal festival in the UK, I recommend Bloodstock Open Air. A much better atmosphere, and (in my opinion) much better bands than Download.

Yeah a lot of people that I've spoken to have said that the atmosphere in the campsite is pretty intense and hostile. I've been to reading festival and the same stuff happens there on the Sunday night. Stuff getting set alight. Its carnage.

Thanks for your Bloodstock Festival suggestion. Just had a look at the website, not that much of a line-up listed yet but I'll check back in a few months. I'm meant to be going to the Peak District in July and staying for two weeks with four mates as we're into hang gliding so I might extend my stay till August and go to the festival. I guess its all down to money in the end though...I've just forked out nearly 3K on a new canopy!
Lets hope I can actually afford to go to a festival this year!

i have been and it was good, but definitely more rock. An AMAZING festival is Hevy. It costs just £69 for the weekend, and the line ups are great. I went earlier this year, Despised Icon, Napalm Death, The Black Dahlia Murder, Gallows, Bury Tomorrow and loads more. So cheap aswell considering download is around £200!

http://festival.hevy.co.uk/