anyone ever mic up a VADER cab?

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
I've been looking for another cab to compliment my 1960a and was wondering if any of you had any practical experience mic'ing up a Vader cabinet?

I don't really care how it sounds in the room, just wondering how well they record.

I'm also looking at the tried and true Recto cab w/V30's but everyone and their mother has one/is tracking with one and I'm just looking for a different option/sound for my mixes/recordings.

Sooooo...?

I don't have experience with em CJ, sorry, but I've heard nothing but great things about them from the metal camp. I saw Necrophagist play Engl SEs through them, some of the best metal tone I've EVER heard!

-Joe

I should note that the only band I know of that's tracked with them is Whitechapel, for their new album:

http://www.myspace.com/whitechapelmetal

Their tone has some unique qualities about it that I absolutely love...very grinding but still smooth..

I know they used a 6505, Dual Recto, QuickRod and DSL for the tone(s) all through the same Vader cab.

Sick tone, IMO.

Hmm, I just checked them out and I don't understand their specs for the 4x12 on their website :-

Power Rating: 480 Watts
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Bandwith: 80 Hz - 5kHz
Size: 32 1/2" x 30" x 14"
Weight: 90 lbs.

How can the frequency response be that narrow? I mean 5khz is really low to max out at. That must be a typo, right? Or am I incorrectly expecting the frequency response to be a lot higher than that?

Edit: Forget that, I just looked at celestions website and the frequency response of a vintage 30 maxes out at 5khz. I'm sorry for going OT here, but can someone explain to me how we get frequencies of 5khz and above, when the speaker isn't rated to go that high?

It starts dropping really quickly outside of that - it's present, but most sound will be in that range:

vintage_30.gif

Jeff

Actually Whitechapel used a 6505, Rackmounted Rectifier, XXX, and a DSL 100 (retubed with KT77s and high gain preamp tubes) if I remember correctly. Their tone on their new songs slays.

A buddy of mine ordered 2 Vader cabs......

He started off with a Krankenstein Head and two Krankenstein Cabs.

Then he bought a Mesa cab.

Later he sold all cabs to buy the Vaders.

The Krank setup sounded fine.

The Mesa sounded way better.

Then the Vaders came along and to be honest, I thought they were a bit thin sounding from all of the above. Loud, but thin.....

Now he plays a 6505+ through the Vader cabs and I still think its a bit weightless.

But I guess I am looking at it from an overall sound standpoint and not a recording aspect.

I know Recto cabs are used by everybody and their Grandma, but there's a reason why: They're great fucking cabinets. Well designed, and well constructed with quality woods. Zero rattle compared to Marshall cabs.

If you want a cab that will compliment a Marshall 1960A, a Mesa 4x12 will do it, and you can pick one up used really cheap. Basically indestructable. Just be aware of the differences in their cab sizes.

Orange makes excellent equipment, as does ENGL, VHT, and Bogner. I especially like the Orange & Bogner 1x12s and the VHT 2x12. But, like I said, there's a reason so many people have used Mesa cabs in the past and continue to choose them over all the new cabs that come out. They're damn near perfect.

Mesa makes great cabs, I'm not too fond of their heads though. I run a 5150 II that's been modded and has JJ E34Ls with a VHT Fat Bottom Cab. Love the tone, I'm wanting to try it on a Bogner Uberkab though. I hear 5150s and those things pwn.