Anyone have unboosted clips of an HT-5, Snott Watt, Tweaker, Gigmaster, etc?

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
So I finally have my newest line of amps all done (Wolfe Amplification Stinger/Javelin) and I'm wanting to know how it compares to other low power heads that are more geared for 'high gain'.

If anyone has any unboosted clips of low wattage amps for me to compare, I'd love to hear them. All the clips I've heard so far are always boosted.

I just reamped those BDM di's that were posted, gives a good example of what my idea of a low wattage single ended class A amp should sound like lol-

No boost, gain was at 10 O'clock

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by a few amp 'gurus' that a single ended poweramp design would sound shitty for high gain, and that's why it hasn't really been done(most low wattage amps use smaller tubes in a push-pull configuration).

I'd have to say that a single 6L6 still sounds just as good as a pair or quad :)

Nice !
How does it sound for recording power soaked/attenuated down to bedroom levels like 1 to 5 watts ?
Because IMO 10 watts cranked is still fucking loud ! in fact 5W cranked still is.

Nice !
How does it sound for recording power soaked/attenuated down to bedroom levels like 1 to 5 watts ?
Because IMO 10 watts cranked is still fucking loud ! in fact 5W cranked still is.

IMO it doesn't need to be power soaked. That clip was done at 'speaking' volume and there was still plenty of oomph coming from the cab :D

As for the fizz, I'm not the best at micing cabs. It also doesn't help that it's a brand new V30. More clips will come though, and I'm going to have someone more adept with micing record them.