Anyone heard of White Wizzard?

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
Never heard of these guys but I saw the cover in CJAM's CD Library and decided to check it out. Really cool classic metal from a fresh band. Think Icarus Witch meets Armored Saint with Adrian and Dave on guitars. Toss in some ASKA and Black Tide too. Pretty good production as well.

http://www.myspace.com/whitewizzard - try High Speed GTO.

Here's the cover of the record so you know exactly what you're getting:

WhiteWizzard_highspeed.jpg

Checking it now, sounds pretty good (at the beginning your IW mention kind of scared me, but the BT commentary relieved me :D)

This EP is long enough to worth its purchase. A full album "Over The Top" is scheduled for 2010 with all new material.

I think you discover a good one for once :p, thanks a lot for the hint indeed Brandon (btw, when we will have new Final Stage material?)

Checking it now, sounds pretty good (at the beginning your IW mention kind of scared me, but the BT commentary relieved me :D)

This EP is long enough to worth its purchase. A full album "Over The Top" is scheduled for 2010 with all new material.

I think you discover a good one for once :p, thanks a lot for the hint indeed Brandon

Yeah I was looking through the CD Library at the station and I saw the font on the side of the CD case and went "This looks interesting." And of course the album cover just screams "Wolf" or "ASKA" or something. I popped it in the sampling player and sure enough, kick ass stuff!

(btw, when we will have new Final Stage material?)

Hopefully sometime in 2010. I've got a few songs written. To test the waters, if all goes according to plan, over the Xmas break we may cut a cover of Judas Priest's The Rage (or possibly the 70s version of Diamonds and Rust).

we may cut a cover of Judas Priest's The Rage (or possibly the 70s version of Diamonds and Rust).

I just wet my pants, I vote for 'The Rage' (the other has been covered ad nauseum) in anycase it will be an ass kicker.

And thanks for WW, I put them on my next haul wishlist :saint:

Got their E.P.from my contact @ Earache in August, been listening to them since. They have a good following overseas. They have a debut record coming in early 2010. Read the interview the band you hear isn't the band you'll hear on the debut album in 2010. They are blowing through in January I hope to catch them around the same time as Slayer/Megadeth. I interview Erik not that long ago. That said welcome o the party.

http://rockandrollazine.blogspot.com/2009/10/interview-with-erik-kluiber-of-white.html

& here:

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/interviews/erikkluiber.shtml

Read the interview the band you hear isn't the band you'll hear on the debut album in 2010.

Read it. Good interview as always.

The sound has changed with the new lineup as you can hear from”40 Deuces,” “Over the Top,” and “White Wizzard.” Those 3 songs were recorded before I joined the band. Jon did all the guitars on those recordings. You do get to hear Wyatt's voice and Jesse on Drums.

I liked those three songs on MySpace thus convinced me to get the EP. In YOUR opinion, the changes Erik mention will change drastically the sound for the 2010 LP? Mainly because of this part:

The full Length has some longer more epic sounding songs. I think it has a more raw approach than the e.p. which had a very technical precision vibe to it. The main ingredients of White Wizzard are still up tempo songs with uplifting vocals. Over The
is an album for fans of classic metal, pure and simple.

I don't mind raw, as raw doesn't turn into crap. Also I do like epic sound, but I hope epic doesn't mean they gonna change from the cool EP sound to a Manilla Road, Manowar, Crystal Viper, Metalforce type of band, we have enough of those, I prefer like he said classic metal, pure and simple.

Read it. Good interview as always.

I liked those three songs on MySpace thus convinced me to get the EP. In YOUR opinion, the changes Erik mention will change drastically the sound for the 2010 LP? Mainly because of this part:

I don't mind raw, as raw doesn't turn into crap. Also I do like epic sound, but I hope epic doesn't mean they gonna change from the cool EP sound to a Manilla Road, Manowar, Crystal Viper, Metalforce type of band, we have enough of those, I prefer like he said classic metal, pure and simple.

The guys who were "dismissed" from White Wizzard have another band that is along the lines of White Wizzard, in fact they have taken possession of the website, that's why they are using the MYSPACE page. I honestly don't think that they will chnace a whole lot. I'm sure they will tweak with the formula a little but not too much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Wizzard

I ordered the EP yesterday, hope it lives to my expectations.

WW is awesome. I also like Enforcer and Cauldron, which are new releases that I feel are kind of similar.

That whole NWOBHM-ish thing, '82 like.

The Press release:

WORLD CLASS, TIMELESS HEAVY METAL IS ON THE MARCH AGAIN.

California's White Wizzard proudly fly the flag for traditional heavy metal on the debut full-length, Ralph Patlan-produced (Megadeth, UFO) album, 'Over the Top'

Noted as "the best new band in the last 20 years" by UK NWOBHM legend, Neal Kay, White Wizzard is known for playing superbly crafted songs with melodic lead guitars at the fore, punctuated by galloping basslines and a rock hard backbeat.

Beginning with the double whammy of 'Over the Top' and '40 Deuces', White Wizzard manage to combine all elements of classic metal - the simplicity, the tunefulness and the passion - into their opening salvo. The precision playing reinforces the power and vitality of the songs, and sets the tone for the remainder of the record.

If there is still a place for tried and true traditional heavy metal then The Village Voice is on target when hailing White Wizzard "leaders" of modern day traditional metal. Combining the pomp of prime Iron Maiden, the aggression of NWOBHM and clarity and quality of Dio and Judas Priest, 'Over the Top' is ready to stake its claim as a heavy metal classic.

TRACKLISTING:

01. Over The Top
02. 40 Deuces
03. High Roller
04. Live Free Or Die
05. Iron Goddess Of Vengeance
06. Out Of Control
07. Strike Of The Viper
08. Death Race
09. White Wizzard

North American Press Manager
Earache Records

Yeah even if I'm waiting for the 2009 EP this album is already on my wishlist for 2010.

Bumping this one as the EP finally arrived.

The good: neat classic old school metal, but doesn't sound dated. Artwork by Derek Riggs.

The bad: The band that composed and record this EP is no longer together, so it causes me some concern regarding the upcoming LP. Using some of the Iron Maiden font, I mean is neat but kind of non-original, I think they could have done better.

The ugly: the wizard face on the artwork :lol:

Another new band that can play with the feeling of the 80's. I will never complaint about it :D