Anyone know a good remedy for bass blisters?

Craysh3

Bathrobed Architect
Dec 17, 2008
2 and a half hour jam. Fucking great. But I've never fingerpicked the bass for that long at one time before... I'm actually typing with my ring finger on the right hand right now cause it hurts like such a bitch right now... It honestly looks like my index and middle finger each have a giant orange-reddish puss bubble at their tips. The thing is, I don't remember the blisters being this bad when I started playing guitar 5 years ago. I'd take a picture of it with my webcam but the lighting is shit in here. Anyways, ice? Beaver feces? I'd google it but you guys are a funnier and wiser bunch than those assholes on yahoo answers and wikihow...

So yeah, thanks in advance.

That's all fine and dandy until you try to scroll with a rugged mousewheel...

Keep playing until it hurts so fucking much you can't touch a string, then quit for an entire week. Rinse. Repeat.

This process is called "doing what every other stringed instrument musician does: building calluses."

Or you could just wake up one day and decide to be awesome and sell your bass and buy a guitar. What do you do if you see your bassist drowning? Throw him his amplifier....

I'm a guitar player first and foremost, as I've mentioned up top. Over 5 years running... But that's why all my calluses are on my left hand. I don't mind the bass at all though, I feel like a tall funky black man whilst playing it.

What a
Tabby1-DomesticCat-Closeup.jpg

Deal with it. Wait a couple days until you can continue playing and tear you fingers to submission again as everyone else said.

Craysh, although these jerks are being superjerks (and rightfully so), what they say is true. You gotta gut it out man, but it'll be worth it in the end when your shit is callused up and you can shove ballpoint pens into the tips of your fingers and not feel anything (excellent party trick, btw). At that point you'll laugh at yourself for thinking any other option may have worked better.

My finger calluses aren't what they used to be since I switched music with jiu-jitsu, but now my fingers and wrists are a million times stronger so my hand probably wouldn't get fatigued as badly playing bass anymore. Too bad I have ZERO motivation to actually pick up my guitar right now.

Kev I always wanted to ask you about this, and this may be the talk of 3 pints of rickards red and a shot of jacks, but you seem to be such a balanced and calm chi and positive energy kinda guy... What in the world got you into martial arts?

To elaborate, I never had any interest in "martial arts" but ever since I first saw MMA back in the late 90's, I always appreciated the hard work and dedication that fighters put into training. At first, it absolutely blew my mind that people would actually dedicate their lives to learning the most efficient, destructive way to deliver violence upon another person. I liked it so much because it was just so foreign to me that someone could be so serious about something like that. I mean, a 100% professional mixed martial artist spends upwards of 8 hours every single day pushing their bodies to their physical limits just for a chance to MAYBE NOT GET KNOCKED OUT COLD, usually for no more than $500 or so.

Honestly, at first the overall violence of the sport was unsettling to me, but for some reason I kept watching. I'd cringe when a guy got brutally knocked out from having his head stomped into the mat, or when someone didn't tap and got choked unconscious. But after a while (is it bad English to start a sentence with "But"?) I realized that all these guys sign up for it, and just about every one of them comes back from big KO's or whatever. When all the states started regulating the sport under unified rules, it got a lot better for me. As it is now, MMA is about the closest you can get to a completely sanctioned street fight. Mano y Mano, toe to toe, best man wins kinda deal. To me, that's the ultimate athletic test.

I've always been the type that, when I fall in love with someone, I have to learn how to do it. It happened with metal. I fell in love with it, I had to learn how to play it. Then I fell in love with trance and starting making songs in Fruity Loops. I fell in love with MMA but holy shit! I could NEVER do anything like that, especially with my medical history. I've had 5 collapsed lungs and two surgeries to repair it. When it was happeneing, I was certain I'd never be able to enjoy anything beyond mediocre physical activity again. So when I fell in love with MMA I was stuck because that's about as difficult a task you can put to your body.

So I just played music, man. I was ALWAYS in a band. Always always always. Death metal, rock, technical metal, that's how I spent my free time. After I'd completely recovered from my surgeries and felt pretty much normal physically (thinking i'd never be able to again was just my own overreactions), I thought it would be fun to try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It's all ground fighting, there's no striking and it seemed relatively harmless to my body and I've always been fascinated by the submissions and chokes. Hell, even when I was a wee buck I always loved watching the WWF guys doing the Crazy Boston Crabs and figure fours and shit. So I decided that maybe someday I'd give it a shot just for fun, and if my body didn't like it, I could stop.

One day, a guy I work with was going to have a station promoted boxing match with another DJ on our station. He ended up meeting this boxing coach who trained out of a small jiu-jitsu club near where we worked. He told me about it and said he also attends the jiu-jitsu classes there as an extra workout. He invited to me come along and told him I'd totally love to but that the schedules conflicted with my bad's current schedule. Well, long story short, that band was fizzling apart and I saw an opportunity. Eventually the band broke up and the very next week I went with this guy I work with to the jiu-jitsu class.

I haven't touched my guitar since. I absolutely fell head over heels in love with jiu-jitsu like I've never fallen in love with anything ever before. I loved EVERYTHING about it. All the things I'd always expected I would and in addition, all the things you mentioned in your post. I honestly now regret not getting into martial arts at a much younger age. The brotherhood with the people I train with, discovering the things I really am capable of physically (I always just assumed I was a scrawny weak bitch because I was little, now I'm strong and confident), respect for others, respect for myself... it was all there before but martial arts puts it into another wholly different perspective.

It brings peace, it brings comfort, it brings confidence, and it brings protection. Before martial arts I always wondered if I would just get destroyed completely by anyone in a fight (never been in a fight in my life), now I hope I never have to find out. But if it comes down to absolutely no other option, I'm really, really, really fucking glad I know what I now know... which isn't much, but better than nothing.

To answer your question I believe that when you break it down as far as possible, a calm chi and positive energy are the very essence of martial arts. I didn't know it when I started, but it didn't take but one practice to realize it and now it's why I stay with it.