anyone know latin and aramaic?

Gibson did not want to subtitle the movie at first. He decide to do it after nobody wanted to distribute it in its original form. Every mainstream and even independent producers dropped from the movie, hence the 25 mil Gibson had to put in from his own pocket. Even now, it is distributed by some very small distributor not part of any of the big ones...

yeah, that sucks. i'm not sure if we talked about this on the board or not, but i think it would have been more intellectually interesting to see if he could make a good, engaging, linear-plotted film without the use of understood language at ALL.

nevertheless...

It is interesting that they don't express if the Latin is ancient Latin like that spoken in the time or the bastardized version of Latin that the Roman-Catholic church uses. So I suggest before taking a class in Latin for this movie, someone should find out which Latin it is in. Also, does anyone know if the conversations were written in English and translated, or written in Latin by scholars? Personally, I think it would have a devastating effect on the quality of the dialogue.

Sincerely,
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Since the differences between Church Latin and Classical Latin are almost entirely in the realm of pronunciation, I don't think it will be too much of a problem no matter what you're trained in. They don't even know exactly how some Classical Latin sounds are pronounced, I believe, so it might even be more consistent (if anachronistic) to have the characters speak in Church Latin.

I think they extrapolated the dialogue from the actual Vulgate, and minimized creative interpretations, so I think the dialogue will be fine, Latinwise.

There are quite a few actually in definitions of words, due to poor transcription where words were given multiple unintended meanings. Also, in late Latin, as is common with modern English, slang was often incorporated into written works, entirely changing meanings of words for Church Latin. This is not entirely inconceivable, based simply on the modern english extra slang meaning given to the words cool and hot, which in the slang universe can mean essentially the same thing. This also comes about with the Latin verb venire, which originally meant "to come" but later became "to sell". While the differences are not as divergent as say Portugesse and Spanish, it is extant and to a trained Latin eye or ear, quite noticeable.

Sincerely,
Gaius Valerius Catullus

I'm sure he'll stick to typical Roman forms of entertainment, blood-soaked sporting events and wine-soaked orgies. Hurray for Wetness!

Sincerely,
Decimus Junius Juvenal