Anyone See This?

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Brian 'Head' Welch Leaves Korn, Citing Moral Objections To Band's Music

Guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, a founding member of Korn, has left the band and has rededicated his life to Christianity, according to the group's management.
"Korn has parted ways with guitarist Brian 'Head' Welch, who has chosen Jesus Christ as his savior, and will be dedicating his musical pursuits to that end," a statement from the band reads. "Korn respects Brian's wishes, and hopes he finds the happiness he's searching for."
The announcement puts to rest weeks of rumors that Welch was unhappy with Korn's direction. On February 8, he had apparently written a "letter of resignation" to the band's management. In the note, Welch detailed a long list of reasons for leaving the band, including increased moral objections to Korn's music and videos. In particular, he was upset by how he was portrayed in the clip for their cover of Cameo's "Word Up," off their recently released Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 album. In the video, Welch's face was superimposed on a dog patrolling a strip club.

"I can go up there and play those songs and those solos but ... I distanced myself from Korn for probably a year and a half, two years. I just wanted to fade away, it was crazy. I was so gone," Welch told Bakersfield, California, radio station KRAB on Sunday. "But I found my way out and I want to help anyone that wants to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had to go through the lows to appreciate the highs and it's not perfect but it's damn near."
Welch plans on further explaining his decision to leave Korn this coming Sunday, when he'll address the congregation at the Valley Bible Fellowship in Bakersfield, California. And on February 28 he plans to leave for Israel.

Korn formed in 1992 as the Bakersfield metal act LAPD, which featured Welch and guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer, bassist Reggie "Fieldy" Arvizu and drummer David Silveria. In 1993, vocalist Jonathan Davis joined the group, and they rechristened themselves Korn. Their self-titled 1994 debut went double platinum and was hailed as a landmark album in the burgeoning nü-metal scene. The group released six studio albums with Welch, sales of which have topped the 11-million mark in the U.S. alone. Their final album with Welch, Take a Look in the Mirror, was released in 2003.
According to Korn's management, the band is currently in the studio working on a new record, which is due in stores in September.

— James Montgomery (mtv.com)

------------
I think that's awesome! I'm really happy for him. I know some will mock him or whatever, but even if you disagree with his reasoning, you have to respect the balls it takes to make that kind of decision. Korn was always one of my least favorite bands ever; no offense at all to them or anyone here that likes them, I just can't stand what I've heard of their whiny music. But he earned my respect, for sure.

It is crazy seeing the backlash against him on sites like Blabbermouth and others. It's just weird seeing people saying vulgar insults against his life and dedication when it is HIS life. The fact that he's leaving a high paying gig like Korn and will most likely take a major pay cut clearly show that he's not in this for the money, and actually wants to play what he believes in. I'm not a fan of Korn either - but in no way would I ridicule him for his choice to live in what he believes...

I think that is great!
now matt can play guitar for korn "he has always wanted to do so".

i love you matt. ha!

The same thing happened when Neal Morse quit Spock's Beard/Transatlantic. And that wasn't even a case of having problems with the content (Neal wrote almost all of it anyway, and you can clearly see the Christian slant in those lyrics); he just felt like God wanted him to do something else. And people jumped on him like rabid dogs and dragged him through the mud.
In fact, I bought the "Testimony" album without hearing a note simply to support him for doing what he thought was right, and it became my favorite disc of 2003. Then I went back and bought all the Spock's Beard and Transatlantic albums, and loved those as well. :Spin:

I agree, I just don't understand the hostility, even if you disagree with the decision. I mean, if Tobias Sammet quit Edguy to become a dentist, I might personally think it's a bad decision, but I would never bash him for it like that. It's funny how people go on about how "Metal" it is to live by your own beliefs and not worry about what others think...until they disagree with those beliefs.

Matt Smith said:
It's funny how people go on about how "Metal" it is to live by your own beliefs and not worry about what others think...until they disagree with those beliefs.
totally. i find that hipocracy running rampant in the metal community.

as a sidenote, i liked neil's solo work a lot better than "Octane" but all the other SB and Transatlantic stuff is great...

dwellceller said:
Also i need to get the Transatlantic cd 'Bridge across Forever' ...what i've heard of it is great....i loved the first Trans cd but this second one sounds even better!
its an amazing album, yeah definitely check that out!

Silent Song said:
its an amazing album, yeah definitely check that out!

Awesome, I didn't expect to find many other Neal fans here. He's in my absolute top tier of songwriters; I think he's a genius. And yes, ONE was the album of 2004 by a mile in my opinion.

As for the Transatlantic question, GET Bridge Across Forever. It blows SMPTe away away IMO! The only songs I really listen to regularly from SMPTe are "All of the Above" and "We All Need Some Light". Bridge Across Forever is strong from start to finish. "Stranger In Your Soul" is one of the all-time ultimate Morse epics. The whole final reprise section is so majestic it will give you goosebumps for sure. :OMG:

I could go on for hours raving about Neal, just ask Seth. :D

Here's me with the man himself, looking all swank in a suit and tie:

NealMatt.jpg

Matt Smith said:
I could go on for hours raving about Neal, just ask Seth. :D

No kidding! I've been REALLY getting into him lately. I just got Snow last week and am really blown away. Not that some songs aren't better than others, but for a double CD set, it's VERY strong. Neal really has a strong songwriting talent.

Im not much into neal myself. But I guess its because I love thrash metal,
but dont get me wrong he is a very good song writer!

I love thrash as well...have for years...and love power metal as well...my 2 fav styles of metal....But i also love alot of Prog Rock.....Neal Morse just writes great songs and i love his collaborations with Mick Portnoy (Dream Theater)...chek out the Testimony DVD for awesome combos between them. One and Testimony rule IMO! ..I haven't heard Neal's other solo cds. I'll definitely get Bridge Across Forever soon.... the first Transatlantic cd had a couple of really good songs but the second seems consistently better......They do a version of 'stranger in your soul' on the Testimony DVD....and judging by that the original studio song must be awesome.

Another prog rock cd i'm getting soon is Protokaw - Before became after...It's Kerry Livegren (from Kansas) reuniting with the original guys from the first Kansas after 30 years.....chek it out at Protokaw.com
Cool photo with Neal, Matt! Yes he may seem a bit straight in the photo but it's what's on the inside that counts. Neal does great music.....Remember Believer looked all nerdy after cutting their hair before the Dimensions cd....But Dimensions is one of my favourite cds ever!

dwellceller said:
Hey Matt...By the way....did you give Neal a copy of your cd ? maybe you and he could do some kind of collaboration in the future ??

I did give him a copy. He's probably too busy to have time to give it a listen, but I figured it couldn't hurt. ;)
I agree, I love thrash, power, prog, classic, etc. and I love Neal's stuff as well. A good song is a good song!

The Testimony DVD does indeed rule. I wish they had included a 5.1 mix instead of just stereo, but that's a minor complaint. Overall it's awesome. The version of "Stranger In Your Soul" on there is great indeed. But the version of "The Light" is even better, IMO. That's one of my all-time favorite Spock's Beard songs. "My name is Senor Velasco/I drink my milk with tabasco!"

"Bridge Across Forever" is definitely the better of the two Transatlantic albums IMO. It's only 4 songs, but is like 70-something minutes. If THAT'S not prog, I don't know what is! "Duel With the Devil" is the first 25-minute-plus epic, and has a lot of cool parts, but is kind of bloated and bogged down with too many keyboard solos and pointless instrumental stuff IMO. It would have been a great 10-15 minute song (Neal's original demo was about 10 minutes). "Suite Charlotte Pike" is awesome in a Beatles kind of way; very much in the vein of side two of Abbey Road. It's a medley of shorter songs that make up one 15-minute piece. The title track is a classic 5-minute Neal ballad; awesome. And then "Stranger In Your Soul" is the other 25-minute epic, and the ultimate Transatlantic song in most people's opinions.

Seth, "Snow" rules! I think it's the Spock's Beard masterpiece. A couple of the ballads are a little too sappy for me, but there is some killer stuff on there. There's a whole 30-minute or so stretch on disc two that just slays!!