Anyone tempted to try this for your drum tracks?

Volcane

Power Quest
Feb 16, 2003
www.progpoweruk.com
Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but SOS magazine in the UK had this as a news item - a company that you send your MP3 (drumless) to, and they record drums and let you have the WAVs for each mic.

I know it's not going to be the perfect by a long way, but if you're a project musician, not set up to record drums, and you want something played by a real person, this could be an option. $99 per song, not sure if blastbeats are extra (or they can even do them...).

Custom Drum Tracks, Recording Studio, Music Producer, Demo productions

Well I guess you're not going to get exactly what you want from this, but as an option for a demo it might be worth it.

You could always track a rough version and then re-record when you got the drums back from them.

I don't work for them, but I thought it was an interesting niche in the market that they were exploiting, and for your average garage band or Green Day clone, it might be OK.

I think that most people would, but then I guess the fact that I can't play drums would probably discount that option for me. Also, a lot of small project studios are just not big enough or in an environment suitable for recording live drums.

I would be intersted to hear these guys playing on drums on something more 'metal' than the demos on the site.

So a minimum of $1000 per album, i'd rather spend the money on a set of drum mics and enough preamps to record the drums myself.

That's up to the project.

If someone never recorded drums bevor as well as he/she don't have a (good!) drummer with a (good!) drumkit and a (good!) room it shurely will take a few weeks until you tracked some drums wich are ok enough for the mix.

If time is monay it could be a good idea to work away with sound-design, vox or whatever and let a professioal drummer track the drums "overnight". That way you don't have to spent time to go through the learning curve of drum recording etc.

brandy

Time isnt going to be money for someone thats never recorded a kit before, if you're going to turn a hobby into a profession, you best make sure you know the basics of recording each instruments AND have a means to do it.

Most bands you record will have a drummer and most drummers will have a kit. Sure the room and quality of kit may be important for top studios, most studios make do with what they have and make the best of whatever drumkit the drummer uses.

I'd much rather invest in the equipment to record drums drums than rely on someone else everytime a band comes in. Also telling them " we'll be getting someone else to do the drums " isnt going to help towards you getting repeat business.

This idea maybe good for your own work, but for serious project/commercial studios? Never.

Obviously if you're in a band with a drummer or want to make a career out of recording/production, this isn't for you, but a 'bedroom musician' or someone who just wants a drum track in 48Hrs for a project or one-off song, it could potentially be a solution in some situations.

I would hate to commit to something like that. Once its printed there is nothing you can do to change it.

To me its like renting an apartment. Your never going to get ahead and you really are not allowed to change anything.

They will send you each track they made for an extra fee so you still could do editing on individual drums etc.... But I still wouldn't waste the money...

It might be good thing for some people I know that you can't change it. One friend of mine has a home studio, and I think that his actual hobby is buying music gear. He hasn't 'finished' anything for getting on for ten years, but his studio is pretty up to date.

An enforced deadline once in a while might not go amis...

I tried these guys for a song about a year and a half ago. They were professional, but definitely NOT metal. They had no idea of how to handle the heavy tracks I was writing so I wound up sending in a straight-up pop tune and that worked OK. Good for pop stuff, but if you want anything heavy you will be disappointed. I mean, nothing against them - not everyone is metal.

I am glad I have Drumkit from Hell and Beta Monkey to work with the heavy stuff now. Now, those ARE metal.

Duke