programming drum tracks newbie question

DEADHEART said:
Wow am I really green about this kind of stuff, gotta start some where I guess. ok James, so that means it has different drum beats but you can't replace the individual sounds? just kind of a cut and paste the stuff you want to use? That would be ok, I just need something to speed up the writing process, most of my time is spent on the guitar riffs and vocals, programming a drum machine usually takes me hours and that is for simple stuff. Any suggestions???

Thats EXACTLY what he means. They are audio files so you really cant edit them unless you manually cut them up into samples and then your back to square one anyway ... i actually posted a fruity loops tutorial on another forum.....

Try this and see how it works for you. Get the demo version of fruity loops

http://www.noctumscriptum.com/tutorials/fruity/tutorial.html

Da Fukn Guru

guitarguru777 said:
Thats EXACTLY what he means. They are audio files so you really cant edit them unless you manually cut them up into samples and then your back to square one anyway ... i actually posted a fruity loops tutorial on another forum.....

Try this and see how it works for you. Get the demo version of fruity loops

http://www.noctumscriptum.com/tutorials/fruity/tutorial.html

Da Fukn Guru
thanks, but that takes me back to my original problem, I don't want to have to create drum beats, I'm really bad at it. I'm looking for something that already has a bunch of pre-programmed beats for metal. That cd seemed to cover what I was looking for I think.

DEADHEART said:
thanks, but that takes me back to my original problem, I don't want to have to create drum beats, I'm really bad at it. I'm looking for something that already has a bunch of pre-programmed beats for metal. That cd seemed to cover what I was looking for I think.

You may find loops easier, but they're definitely not as flexible. Or you could try what I tend to do. Go here: http://www.mxtabs.net

Download some drum tabs (if you can read guitar tab, you'll have no problem with drum tabs) for songs that you like the beats in, and then program that in either FruityLoops or the Piano Roll in your audio software.

You don't even have to program the whole song, just pick some fills or grooves you like and program those short sections. Then if you save as MIDI you can build up a library of interesting drum parts that can easily have the tempo changed and used wherever you want. Then you can experiment with different drum sounds (soundfonts, samples, etc.) on top of that.

It's a bit of work, but if you gradually add to your library over time it's really bloody useful. :)

Muttley

I find that if i use loops i cant cater the beat to the riff. I got a thing for making the guitars and bass follow drums and vice-versa. I think it ads to the tightness of the band.

Band like nevermore where the drummer playins his kicks to the riff always sound monsterous. So thats what i try to strive for, even when i just demo.

Learn to program drums. You will love yourself alot more later for it.
Da Fukn Guru

guitarguru777 said:
Zoom Rythmtrack 123 or 234 easy to use and has the option. Plus it has some decent bass sound.

Da Fukn Guru

yep, Zoom RT-223 looks cool and the bass-sounds would be another cool feature as I dont own a bass anymore (and i'm not all that good at playing it anyway)

this would probably speed up the recording-process quite a bit as soon as I manage to make it sound good (well, lets say: ok)

maybe I'll get one