Sequencing DFH2 in Cubase?

Coprosatanica

Dec 13, 2005
Hey guys - I was hoping someone could recommend a midi controller for use with triggering Drumkit From Hell 2 inside of Cubase LE. I'm looking at the M Audio Ozone, but I'm completely new to midi sequencing so I'm curious about your opinions on this subject.

I usually just use Beatcraft to lay down basic drum patterns for writing guitar parts, but I just got DFH2 to make an attempt at getting some better sounds that I could actually keep in the recordings. I soon realized there is no way to sequence with it standalone. Do you think getting into midi is the way to go for sequencing with Cubase, or is there a better software program available that allows for stand alone sequencing without using midi?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

JB

Im using DFHS, but I have always pencilled stuff into a MIDI track. I have experience with the Ozone controller, but I haven't used it for writing out drums. If I was to use a controller, Id probably buy something that I could actually hit.

Having said that, I don't really have much problem pencilling everything in.

Uh....DFH2 only triggers via MIDI...so you kinda have to use MIDI no matter what...

DFH2 comes with a sampler, Kompakt. You select that as a VST Instrument in Cubase. Then you add a MIDI track to your project. Set the output of that MIDI track to PSP Drumkit From Hell 2. Now, when you program MIDI into the track, it'll trigger DFH2's samples...I'll post screens to help you out.

~006

006 said:
Uh....DFH2 only triggers via MIDI...so you kinda have to use MIDI no matter what...

DFH2 comes with a sampler, Kompakt. You select that as a VST Instrument in Cubase. Then you add a MIDI track to your project. Set the output of that MIDI track to PSP Drumkit From Hell 2. Now, when you program MIDI into the track, it'll trigger DFH2's samples...I'll post screens to help you out.

~006

Thanks, that would be great. From reading the documentation - I assumed that it would require a separate midi controller. I must not have the routing set up correctly for the Kompakt sampler and the midi channel in cubase. It sounds like I can skip buying the conroller and just read up more thoroughly on the midi capabilities in Cubase to get this set up right for drawing the events in. Sorry for the lame nooby questions, but I really appreciate the help... Thanks!!

Ok...this will be lengthy but it will show you exactly how to use DFH2 in Cubase. Here we go!

First, open a new project in Cubase. Empty. Then do this:
1.jpg

That should bring this window up, which you should select this:
c8eaf9f5.jpg

Then, when you click on the "e", it should bring this up:
3.jpg

Select a preset kit, or build your own. Then "X" out of that, and do this:
4.jpg

Now you have a MIDI track. You need to set it's output to DFH2, so do this:
5.jpg

Now you can see it's output is routed to DFH2, here:
6.jpg

Now you need to draw a MIDI thing for you to program in, using the pencil tool. Draw from "1" to like..."12" or something, you can always add more later on, but this is like 2 minutes worth of blank space for you program in. Here's a shot of what I mean:
7.jpg

After that, select your mouse tool again, and double click on the thing you just drew. It should bring this window up:
8.jpg

Now, in mine, I have some stuff programmed already. Again, you use your pencil tool to draw in MIDI notes. C1 is where your samples begin, it'll start with Kick Left. Here is what the thing I programmed sounds like. It's not really mixed like I would use it, but you can see which MIDI notes are doing what in my programming in the picture.

Then when you have programmed your song out, and mixed the drums and whatnot, drag the blue arrow on the top of the timeline over to the end of your song so that the left arrow is at the beginning, and the right arrow is at the end. The line they create should be blue, not red. Then you can bounce your song. Here is a picture showing where to get to that:
9.jpg

Pretty easy, eh? If you want a MIDI controller like a keyboard to play on instead of programming the notes by hand with a mouse, the M-Audio stuff is great. I like doing it by hand though, different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

~006

Also, if some things aren't playing through your host (Cubase), then you need to open back up the DFH2 plug-in (you can click on the "e" on the MIDI track's parameters window on the side) and make sure each peice you have in the kit is set to "OMNI" on the output. You'll see a little circle with some dots in it, in the top right somewhere, click on the number and it'll bring up a drop-down menu with options like "OMNI" and then "1-16" or something. Make sure every slot you have is set to "OMNI". :)

~006

+1 for that.

I never bothered doing it for myself though, I got use to using the GM map before I learned how to do that stuff. :)

~006

Works like a champ! Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome...I definitely prefer drawing in the hits too, that's what I'm already familiar with anyway (with Beatcraft that is). Muchos thanks 006 for taking those screenshots and walking me through this! :worship:

No problem man, I'm really glad to help. Now start making some damn music and show it off! :lol: Cheers!

~006

I too am new to DFH2...

using this method, is it possible to bounce in such a way that you can get separate WAVs for each part of the kit (so that you can have a compressor setting for the snare, etc.)? Or rather, what's the most efficient way to map the drums so it's simple to apply EQ/compression/FX to each component of the kit?

Is it to map each part of the kit on a different MIDI track then mute'n'bounce as appropriate, would that work?

Sorry if my enquiry is rubbish, I'm not sitting in front of my PC to experiment. Thanks.

What you would have to do, to go that route, is to add a new MIDI track for each kit peice. As in, MIDI 1 = Kick, MIDI 2 = snare, MIDI 3 = hi-hats, etc. etc. And then on the sampler (Kompakt), you select each peice, like take for instance, the kick drum. You'd select the little slot, so that it's highlighted, then you go to the little MIDI output icon (little circle with some dots in it resembling a MIDI plug on the left side) and click on it and select like, channel 1. Then for snare, you'd select channel 2. So on and so on until each slot has it's own channel. Then for each MIDI track you added to the sequencer, you have it's input selected to the corresponding channel you want it to be playing. So like, MIDI 1's input will be "1", and in the sampler the KICK output is channel "1". However, with DFH2, it kinda sucks because you'll have to program everything seperately in their own MIDI tracks. So you'll be switching your screens a lot. I just deleted DFH2 off my drive to make room for a project, so I can't do any more screens of it, but if you absolutely don't get it from my explaination, then I will re-install and take some screens. :)

~006

HeadCrusher - You can use the sampler that DFH2 comes with to mix your drums bro. It has a bunch of filters that you can use to gate things, as well as a pretty good eq section. If you want to get surgical with it, you can just make a seperate MIDI track for each peice in the kit, then route that to an AUX track to add plugs like compression and such. The reverb on Kompakt is pretty decent as well.

~006

Thanks a lot 006!! You've been a massive help, I totally get your explanation not to worry. Man. You guys are so incredibly helpful.

I take it the long-windedness of doing something like this is why DFHS is superior, in the sense that you can just map drums in Superior and bounce down everything to its own track at the end. I'll definitely be looking into getting DFHS.

Thanks a million. Get Toontrack to sponsor you now, dammit. \m/

Edit:
Oh yeah, you guys export it to .wave files and then start to mix them, nevermind. I mix right on the MIDI files, as explained below.

Is it just me, or does my DFH2 have something special in it because it outputs all 8 stereo tracks on its own, you don't need to do separate MIDI files for each drum :confused:

I don't remember the exact order and mics, but I have something like these in the mixer straight away when I insert DFH2 (the names are "1/2", "3/4", "5/6", etc originally):

1/2 - Kick
3/4 - Snare top
5/6 - Snare bottom
7/8 - Rack toms
9/10 - Floor tom
11/12 - Cymbals
13/14 - Hihat
15/16 - Overhead

You can mix them as you would a 8-track drum recording, everything's on the above channels