Drum Programming question (Midi editors?)

Joel4662

Jul 23, 2010
Not sure if i'm in the right sub-forum here, but we'll see.
I have Reaper, and have tried programming my drums in it's midi editor, and hate it.
i resorted to just using guitar pro since my old band tabbed out all our songs anyways.
but now, i'm recording other bands and it's not really workin.

so question, what's everyone's favorite midi editor for programming drums? Cause Reaper and GP5 aren't cuttin it anymore :\

i have done research here btw, just wanted you opinions.

Not sure if i'm in the right sub-forum here, but we'll see.
I have Reaper, and have tried programming my drums in it's midi editor, and hate it.
i resorted to just using guitar pro since my old band tabbed out all our songs anyways.
but now, i'm recording other bands and it's not really workin.

so question, what's everyone's favorite midi editor for programming drums? Cause Reaper and GP5 aren't cuttin it anymore :

i have done research here btw, just wanted you opinions.

What is it about Reaper that you don't like for editing?

olif8 said:
What is it about Reaper that you don't like for editing?

It's the way you put the notes in is difficult and time consuming for me
Idk it does like get the job done now that I've been messin with the settings (hide unused note rows helps alot) so it's actually startin to grow on me

Yeah ive spent the last 3 hours programming some drums for a band I'm recording (my first real clients!!!) and I'm starting to get pretty used to it
I just input all the notes, then go through and do velocities, then humanize. It just takes some gettin used to I guess!

Digital Performer 7 is awsome at all things midi.
Its definitely the leading DAW in midi programming. I love it.
Logic is also pretty good with midi.

OneDaySky said:
How long have you guys been using your DAW's for? I been a Cubase user since 2002 and just keep upgrading. I love cubase. We use Sonar at work but man, they still got some way to go.

Been using reaper for 8 months.
First DAW.
And thanks mostly to this forum and a few good books, I can now pretty much mix -core genre music better than all the local studios -.-

Yeah ive spent the last 3 hours programming some drums for a band I'm recording (my first real clients!!!) and I'm starting to get pretty used to it
I just input all the notes, then go through and do velocities, then humanize. It just takes some gettin used to I guess!

why not humanize when you're putting in the notes? same with velocities although velocities (for me) usually get edited until drums get printed

Seth Munson said:
why not humanize when you're putting in the notes? same with velocities although velocities (for me) usually get edited until drums get printed

Well like I put them to the grid the whole way through then use reapers little humanize thing.
Do you mean you input the notes a little off the grid while your programming?
It's a little new to me that's why I'm askin

Also, reaper guys, any way to make the midi grid display triplets??? I've been workin on this one for like 30 mins.
Google has no answers..

How long have you guys been using your DAW's for? I been a Cubase user since 2002 and just keep upgrading. I love cubase. We use Sonar at work but man, they still got some way to go.

been with Logic Pro for around 2 years now.. personally my favourite daw, but it is a CPU hog. Started out with cubase back in college (still gotta love the drum editor in Cubase) ha, but starting to use ProTools in uni, and I hate it... find it too slow to navigate around, and just find editing really time consuming

Well like I put them to the grid the whole way through then use reapers little humanize thing.
Do you mean you input the notes a little off the grid while your programming?
It's a little new to me that's why I'm askin

Also, reaper guys, any way to make the midi grid display triplets??? I've been workin on this one for like 30 mins.
Google has no answers..

Where you change the grid (i.e. 1/8, 1/16, etc) there is 1/16T anything with the T is triplets.