Anyone up for mixing a song?

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Warning not metal and a cubase project and i cant sing lol
I finished a song temporary title 2012...here is a quick mix but since this mix there have been more parts added singing wise.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=901592&songID=7728565*

I'm really trying to get a Breaking Benjamin Diary of Jane type of sound with this song [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWaB4PXCwFU...obviosuly[/ame] my stuff is nowhere close but if anyone is into this type of rock mixing I would love if you could give me feedback on how to improve performance wise to one day get there.:headbang:

Here is the project: (midi, sampled drums, di guitars, di bass, orchestra east west, lots of crappy vox, etc.)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vo63t3

-some quick notes
-I have two verse 1's (one is greyed out) I wasn't sure which one to go with..but thought the first verse would sound good very distorted and eerie reverb (reverse reverb)??

Posted below as well:
Ok here is just the exported wav's and midi file (drums) for use in pro tools, etc.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q06p4b

The song is 83bpm

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

And here is just the midi file...http://www.sendspace.com/file/6wq7za

*Rough Mix by Onqel (the serina experiment) who is an amazing amazing mixer. He has been extremely busy but if anyone has mix questions please post them here and John will answer em. I have done quite a few song changes since his mix and would love to hear how it will sound with the new changes. :)

Dude that song is awesome and the mix is good IMO. And I personally love your vocals, you're definely too hard with yourself.

Oh and I love the song, I'll have a crack at it tonight and tomorrow.

Could you post the midi drums and the tempo of the track?
there are overheads and hihat in your mix but i don't see them in the files :S

im loving the track >.< next week i will give it a shot

Could you post the midi drums and the tempo of the track?
there are overheads and hihat in your mix but i don't see them in the files :S

im loving the track >.< next week i will give it a shot

I exported just the kick and the snare samples as wav's to combine with sd 2, etc.
So the midi file has all the hats and overheads.
:headbang:

Sounds really good dude... what kick are you using there?

I'm using the devildriver kick with a 3dB cut at 3500hz and a 2.5dB boost at 11500 ..

the scratch mix is done by me :\ I haven't had the time to finish it because of a vst-project..

Thanks Max!! :worship:

This is an awesome mix! Great vocals and the ideas you came up with are perfect. The ending is amazing and the parts before the chorus come in :headbang:

tell me if you agree I wonder if we are thinking the same things :lol:...these would be the final tweaks I would think of (beacuse of the genre not the mix):

-Kick and snare a little more room/verb..snare a slight db boost, and kick a very little bit of more low end thump
-Bass some more distortion and thicker to carry the song and the guitars and make the choruses a bit bigger (even though that all sounds phenomenal already)
-Guitars to come down but not much and also a little more liveliness to them (cause my DI and playing are still not that great and dull sounding..so that might be difficult :lol:)

Otherwise Max this is kick ass! Like it a lot!!

I have been working on your music, I already spent a few hours on that but it´s still not finished. I will post here a little soundclip of the mix but I have to work a lot more. There is many things to do. I didnt yet worked hard on the bass sound.

More one week and I will finished this. Btw great fucking job composing this. Love it.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1457645/2012 mix.mp3

(cause my DI and playing are still not that great and dull sounding..so that might be difficult :lol:

you need to practice more on your palm muting.. so you can palm mute with full control over hardness etc.. it's too soft.. even compared to your Breaking Benjamin reference.. ;) Your Stand Tall tracks were great though

...+ it's hard to give the song a Breaking benjamin sound with the synths going on in the background.. they are pushing the mixer (me at least) to do a more ambiance/big space oriented sound... could be that I'm a one-trick pony when it comes to mixing though :p

And No.. this wasn't meant to be an attack of your playing skills ;)

you need to practice more on your palm muting.. so you can palm mute with full control over hardness etc.. it's too soft.. even compared to your Breaking Benjamin reference.. ;)

I 100% agree and that is the feedback I like and need! :kickass:

...+ it's hard to give the song a Breaking benjamin sound with the synths going on in the background.. they are pushing the mixer (me at least) to do a more ambiance/big space oriented sound... could be that I'm a one-trick pony when it comes to mixing though :p

No you are def no a one trick pony John its more my noobieness :lol: in trying to write songs I want a rock feel in the drums and guitars but also love having the atmospheric stuff in there as well. So still learning what works and doesnt. But I want the feedback!!!

And No.. this wasn't meant to be an attack of your playing skills ;)

No worries :heh: and let's hear some more stuff from you!!:Smokin:
:headbang:

I have been working on your music, I already spent a few hours on that but it´s still not finished. I will post here a little soundclip of the mix but I have to work a lot more. There is many things to do. I didnt yet worked hard on the bass sound.

More one week and I will finished this. Btw great fucking job composing this. Love it.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1457645/2012 mix.mp3

Nuno thanks for the compliment and thanks for this mix!!!..... sounds awesome as well. Drums are awesome!! I'm going to comment again in the morning just got home and a little intoxicated :heh:

man these drums are so great... am talking bout first post... what snare is that? sound so good! and hi hat and cymbals are great! can you share some info on drums
song is nice too! you kind of remind me of dream theatre singer x)
i love sound of guitars in first post too! what amp was that??
GREAT work mate! am listening song couple of times now and more i listen more i like it! those strings are giving great atmosfere

all best!

Onqel is right and dont see that as something negative. The song is fucking good without a doubt but if you improve your playing skills it will be even better. As Ongel said, pratice your palm mute but try to avoid all kind the noises when you are playing and try to be much tight as you can.
When you're comfortable with all these aspects, try quadtracking, beacuse this could improve a better and bigger sound.:)

man these drums are so great... am talking bout first post... what snare is that? sound so good! and hi hat and cymbals are great! can you share some info on drums
Superior Drummer 2 with devildriverkick.. snare I believe is Lasse's black panther snare blended with original SD2 snare.

i love sound of guitars in first post too! what amp was that??
SoloC!

and I hope you was talking about the scratch mix :p if not, I made a fool of myself.. haha