Anyone willing to do a shootout between Saffire's DI and external DI?

nervirasme

Dismember
Nov 13, 2010
Cologne, Germany
www.behance.net
I might consider getting an external DI box (I have Saffire Pro 40) and I it would be great if I had a chance to really hear the difference between external DI and a built-in DI input in Focusrite's interface... but generally, I think it would be great if someone who has both units (any interface within Focusrite's Saffire range, and a decent DI box) would put a practical end to a debate whether it's a plus to add external DI by doing a shootout and letting listeners decide if it's worth it...

Iv been planning for a while to do a shootout between my DI's so i thought now seems like a good time.

Iv recorded 2 guitar tracks and a bass track with the following DI's-

Saffire Pro 40 Inst In
Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe DI
Little Labs Redeye 3D Phantom (passive)

the signal chain for guitars was LTD EC-500 > EMG81 > DI's > Saffire Pre.
Same for bass with some Yamaha 5 string with stock pickups and OLD strings. Peaks at about -12db

I included a midi drum file too with just some arranged SSD midi loops. Tempo is 180bpm. Its not the greatest playing but just something guick i threw down for the test.

Here is the link, if you want the individual files instead of the zip just let me know -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31489933/DI Test.zip

I had a Saffire Pro 40 and a Countryman Type 85 at the same time and I could not hear any difference at all so I sold the Countryman. Wish I still had those files but everyone who heard them agreed as well. I don't think its necessary with that interface.

Guys, thank you! (especially to caneris for his effort)... Well, honestly, after everything I've read and heard I can't find a reason to bypass Focusrite's DI... Now I'm even more glad to have this unit :)

I had a Saffire Pro 40 and a Countryman Type 85 at the same time and I could not hear any difference at all so I sold the Countryman. Wish I still had those files but everyone who heard them agreed as well. I don't think its necessary with that interface.

+1. I used to have a bunch of nice DIs and the difference between them and my Pro 40's inputs were extremely minimal, if there was any at all. Ended up selling them all and bought some mics instead :p

I would only use a DI if I was actually recording a mic'd signal along with the DI, but of course in the end I could just do with a good re-amp box so I could always record DI and then just reamp

Yeah, that's why I still have my BassDriver. I just bypass the preamp and run one as a DI and one through an amp with a mic, but most of time, I just DI into an amp sim now, cause I'm too lazy to setup a mic :lol: