API, Neve, or other style of preamp for recording guitars and screams? Also interface

thisundyingfire

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2014
I’ve done some searches here and there but haven’t quite gotten the answer I’m looking for. I’m looking to be able to get some nice sounding guitar and vocal tracks and have heard (in both senses of the term) how preamps can effect tone for the better. I can’t quite get that mid-forward API sound or the little top end sweetness I hear with Neve style pres with my built-in’s on my Tascam or M-Audio interface (more on that later). I like some qualities of both, but lean toward the Neve I guess, but I was curious as to what a lot of you guys use or know to have been used in metal stuff. Guitar sound influences on the heavy side would be Carcass (HW era), Cannibal Corpse (Bloodthirst era….i guess two Colin Richardson albums huh), Meshuggah’s earlier stuff w/ Bergstrand, and more recently I dig 7 Horns 7 Eyes and Whitechapel’s “New Era” (Used to play in local bands with Zach from WC). I also do some stuff in the vein of Thrice and Alice in Chain’s heavier moments

So what are the good clones out there? 500 series is fine, I wouldn’t mind starting a small rack. Cheaper the better though as far as my budget is concerned. See some names like Daking and Great River thrown around but don’t know their sound, also see Hairball a bit.

On the interface; what’s a good cheap option with good converters and that allows bypassing the preamps? I need a new interface as I’m migrating to Mac and the Tascam isn’t supported (and I don’t care much for it).

Thanks!

I've got a couple Classic API vp26's and Golden Age Projects pre573's, as well as a Warm Audio WA12. All pretty affordable and sound great. I prefer an API style pre for heavy guitars and the Neve style for heavy vocals to be honest.

Can't go wrong with Neve style pres for anything!...heavy, clean, pop, wester, Japanese...you name it!! you'll want a neve style mic pre.

Avedis MA5 is mazing...this guy used to work for BAE and know's the ins and outs of Neve like nothing.
Great river is super clean and puncy...you'll love it for anything.
Herritage is making a killer neve clone for 500...you'll dig that too.

choose whatever suits your budget...cant' go wrong with either.

API on the other hand...i wouln't use on vocals...so you'll be "limiting" yourself if you get one as a main pre.

Can't go wrong with Neve style pres for anything!...heavy, clean, pop, wester, Japanese...you name it!! you'll want a neve style mic pre.

Avedis MA5 is mazing...this guy used to work for BAE and know's the ins and outs of Neve like nothing.
Great river is super clean and puncy...you'll love it for anything.
Herritage is making a killer neve clone for 500...you'll dig that too.

choose whatever suits your budget...cant' go wrong with either.

API on the other hand...i wouln't use on vocals...so you'll be "limiting" yourself if you get one as a main pre.

Second the Avedis MA5.
It gets alot more use than my API 512c's.

The great river NV series is tough to beat because of its versatility and options. It's got the neve thing going on and can be thick as hell, or can actually be very clean sounding. Plus the di is ridiculously good. Plus I'm going to give Dan at great river a big customer service recommendation. When you call there Dan will personally speak with you, he is honest and knows his shit. It's also a bonus it's built like a tank.