API vs. DAV Clip

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
here's a little comparison of the API3124+ and the DAV BG8 preamps.
I used a matched pair of Neumann KM184 in front of an acoustic guitar (with ancient strings ;)).
I tried to get the mics as close to the same position as ppossible

it's a 32bit float 96KHz recording, but in the folder there are also 24bit/44.1k files (converted with PT10HD on tweakhead setting

DAV vs API

I'll soon do some snare and electric guitar comparison....would do vocals, but I can't sing ;)

Driving the API and putting an output pad on it will probably make a bigger difference.

There's not really much difference I think. Maybe the API has slightly more happening in the upper mids/treble, but it could just as easily be my brain tricking me.

Had to filter out a bit of lows though as there's quite a strong proximity effect happening that makes it difficult to hear whats going on in the mids and treble.

i have recorded a whole album only on DAV preamps in the past, so i know them well.

call me an ignorent, but i dont speculate too much in preamps as long is its good quality, you get far more nuances with mics, acoustics and just moving mics around.

that said, the price difference is there, and i dont think API justifies it. yeah they have pedigree, but so what, pedigree dont make records.

to me preamps are a feature set, 48v, lo cut, pad, impedance switch.

that said, i dont like, mackie, behringer, presonus etc.

i allways wanted a millennia preamp.

enough ramble.

looking forward to other sources :D

here are distorted guitar clips....
I think the difference is quite obvious...they both sound good...the API has those typical upper mids and compresses a bit more (if normalized to the same peak value the API clip would appear a bit louder). The API seems a bit tighter, the DAV a bit fuller...both kick ass I think.

these files don't have any post processing on them, no HP/LP, nothing

DAV
API

I'll agree both kick ass! They sound great. I think the API might sit bitter in a mix with dense lows.

Differences are much more obvious with the distorted guitars. DAV is smoother and has a bit of a fuller low end. API is tighter and brighter so sounds more in your face. Both good though.