Help prioritise these purchases!

TomMartin

Jul 19, 2008
There's a pretty long list of stuff I want and will save for, I currently have SOME money and am getting ready to tick something off the list, but what would you get first?

At the moment, I'm recording guitar/bass/vocals and programming drums as I suspect many of you are.

Guitars - I have a few high end electrics, could always do with more for alt tunings
Amps - I should be set, dual rec, mark iv, 5150... could always do with more :p
Cabs - mesa traditional 4x12, marshall 1960a... Would like a mesa oversized as well
Mics - pair of sm57's, happy
Pre - Focusrite TwinTrak Platinum, room for upgrade!!!
Converter - TC Studio Konnekt 48 interface, happy!

And a room I'm happy with as well. So...that's 90% there I think, top of the line pre would give me a no excuses setup, extra cab just for options...

Acoustic Guitar - shitty Yamaha, sm57 or 58 or 7b. Seriously lacking...

Bass - schecter hellraiser 5 string, ampeg svx. Sounds good, I'm just not a good bassist...or mixer :p wouldnt mind something different as well.

Vox - 58, 57 or 7b. Not bad! A condensor would be a welcome addition.

Drums - SSD 3.5, Superior Drummer 2.0

Plugins - waves consoles and a few other things, c4 etc, soundtoys, slate fg-x. I'm content here

Monitoring - Genelec 8040, Adam A7 , happy! Will try VERY hard not to buy more monitors lol

Ok so onto things I want to do...

1. Sort out my Acoustic guitar chain, from source to mics, pres, compressors...
2. Get set up for acoustic drums
3. Improve anything else where possible
4. Only buy stuff I will never need to upgrade

So my list of things I'm looking at

API A2D
API 3124
Focusrite ISA 428 and AD card

Would be a great set of pres and converters for drums and everything else

Acoustic guitar - Martin D-1 or Taylor equivelant, need to play a few
Neumann KM184 pair
Various other mics, could go on and on...

Bass, after the 25 bass comparison, I want a spector!

I want a distressor, or a pair for vox, acoustic guitar, whatever else

Api 2500 for mix bus work. I like the waves version so much that I have to have this!

So...where would you start? I'm leaning towards pickibg up the API A2D in the next couple weeks, it would properly finish off my electric guitar recording chain and would be a help for every other instrument too. And then moving on to the acoustic stuff...

Sorry for the long post, I'm VERY bored at work...

Yeah man I would pick up the a2d first. two great pre's and great conversion too. I would follow that up with the distressor(or pair)

the Api will sound great on electric or acoustic guitar(as will the isa just a little different)
I have the 3124 and a couple isa 428MkII's and I really like them both. and if you get the isa428 I suggest going for the MKII model. no vu's but they resolved the overheating issues that kept me from buying the original one.