Upgrade time - Preamp, mic or hardware? (Another spend my money thread)

C-Martin

Mar 8, 2009
Montreal
www.soundclick.com
So i've been saving up for some time to upgrade my gear and although my initial plan was to get a hardware compressor like a Distressor or a 1176, i've come to the conclusion that i may need a better set of preamps or a set of sdc to replace my current AT 3031 as my main OH (and for acoustic guitar) and use the 3031 for spot micing.

What i had in mind was one of these:

API A2D
or
Neumann KM184 stereo pair
or
Distressor EL8X
or

What would you guys suggest? I'm pretty sure i'll eventually get all of it but i'm just trying to decide what to get first. What do you think would be the most beneficial upgrade for me right now? My current setup is:

- Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
- RME ADI-8 AE

- Countryman Type 10
- Little Labs Redeye
- Chameleon Labs 7720
- JDK R22 Stereo Compressor
- Chandler Germanium Preamp
- Focusrite Octopre MKII

Microphones:
- AT 3035 (x2)
- AT 3031 (x2)
- AT 2035
- Audix i5
- Audix D6
- Cascade FatHead (x2)
- Sennheiser MD421-U5
- Sennheiser 609 Black (x2)
- Shure SM7
- Shure SM57
- Shure Unidyne 545

I'd get the mics first, but I'd get Beyer MC930s or Josephson C42s over KM184s any day of the week. Mics are going to have a bigger effect than new pres or outboard comps.

After the mics, I'd get the A2D, and then finally start in on the outboard stuff.

I'd get the mics first, but I'd get Beyer MC930s or Josephson C42s over KM184s any day of the week. Mics are going to have a bigger effect than new pres or outboard comps.

After the mics, I'd get the A2D, and then finally start in on the outboard stuff.

+1. I love my MC930's. I did a side-by-side with them and the KM184's on acoustic and overheads awhile back, and greatly preferred the Beyers in both instances.

I find it odd that you guys are actually not recommending the KM184s, i figured these were part of everyones list of mics to get. I tried the beyers and although they're nice i actually prefer the KM184, i'm looking for something that has a bit of a high end boost and the KM have that characteristic. I checked out the Josephson C42, those look nice too but haven't found much info on them yet and can't find a store that has them locally to try them.