Appreciation thread: Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion

DD by DD is a decidedly delicious delivery delving decadently and dourly diving into deep and dissonant developments.

I like them.

Here are drum tracking pics from each of the last three records:

Dismantling Devotion:
dd%20studio%20008med.jpeg

602-kick, 57, snare, 421-racks, re20-floor, sm81-hat, 414-ride, 451s - crashes, and tlm103 OH's
Lost to the Living:
LttL-tracking-med.jpg

Only major change from DD was my fascination with under-micing at that point. All of the cymbal spots were from underneath to get some isolation from the shells and the high hats.
602-kick, 57, snare, 421-racks, re20-floor, mk012-hat, 414-ride, 451s - crashes, SM81-OHs, and u87-mono room.

A Frail Becoming:
Afb-tracking-med.jpg

Totally different studio and setup but the same sonor kit.
e602 kick-in, some charter oak - kick out, snare e22s/i5, snare b- c42, toms- e22s, hat-c42, crashes-schoeps, ride-schoeps, OH-m149, room stereo-coles, room mono - 617.

Thanks for the info, Egan. Really appreciate that!

A couple of questions if that's ok.

I've always wondered what tuning was used on this record, if it's not too much to ask Egan, what tuning did you use on the guitars?

Did you guys ever listen to an even more over looked death/doom band called Threnody from the early '90's? http://youtu.be/hmvHE2QC2Ms I swear, Dismantling Devotion was/is the album I was waiting for them to make, until you did - very well :kickass:

Thanks.

Yeah, Eb standard for everything on Dismantling. I think a couple of drop Db songs on LttL and few more on AFB. Barre is really slick with his inversions as well as key changes so I think it makes it tougher to figure out by ear (or that's my guess since the question comes up alot). There are also lots of times when I (on bass) choose a root note different than the guitars on some of the ambiguous chords voicings.
I've honestly never heard of Threnody but it's possible Jesse or Barre have.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Egan you've answered everything i wanted to know or have been thinking in regards to the tunings, chords and progressions on that wonderful recording. That fact that it is in a standard tuning just makes it all the more impressive, hats off to you!