April Fools Day Thread

BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Manly Man!
Apr 15, 2007
Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
Discuss pranks that you've pulled this year and previously, as well as those that have been pulled on you. In you find any internet pranks, post those as well.

I received this facebook notification earlier today:

BarackObamaCousin.png

Those of you with gmail have probably already noticed this:

gmailAprilFools.png

My favorite prank of all time though was Discover Magazine's article on the Hotheaded Naked Ice Borer. I didn't know it was the April edition when I read it, so I actually believed that this thing was real until I read a follow up article last year. I find it hilarious that after reading this as an eleven year old, it took me about thirteen more before I discovered that it was a joke :lol:

iceborer.jpg

Aprile Pazzo was about to call it a day when she noticed that the penguins she was observing seemed strangely agitated. Pazzo, a wildlife biologist, was in Antarctica studying penguins at a remote, poorly explored area along the coast of the Ross Sea. "I was getting ready to release a penguin I had tagged when I heard a lot of squawking," says Pazzo. "When I looked up, the whole flock had sort of stampeded. They were waddling away faster than I'd ever seen them move."

Pazzo waded through the panicked birds to find out what was wrong. She found one penguin that hadn't fled. "It was sinking into the ice as if into quicksand," she says. Somehow the ice beneath the bird had melted; the penguin was waist deep in slush. Pazzo tried to help the struggling penguin. She grabbed its wings and pulled. With a heave she freed the bird. But the penguin wasn't the only thing she hauled from the slush. About a dozen small, hairless pink molelike creatures had clamped their jaws onto the penguin's lower body. Pazzo managed to capture one of the creatures -- the others quickly released their grip and vanished into the slush.

Over the next few months Pazzo caught several of the animals and watched others in the wild. She calls the strange new species hotheaded naked ice borers. "They're repulsive," says Pazzo. Adults are about six inches long, weigh a few ounces, have a very high metabolic rate -- their body temperature is 110 degrees -- and live in labyrinthine tunnels carved in the ice.

Perhaps their most fascinating feature is a bony plate on their forehead. Innumerable blood vessels line the skin covering the plate. The animals radiate tremendous amounts of body heat through their "hot plates," which they use to melt their tunnels in ice and to hunt their favorite prey: penguins.

A pack of ice borers will cluster under a penguin and melt the ice and snow it's standing on. When the hapless bird sinks into the slush, the ice borers attack, dispatching it with bites of their sharp incisors. They then carve it up and carry its flesh back to their burrows, leaving behind only webbed feet, a beak, and some feathers. "They travel through the ice at surprisingly high speeds, " says Pazzo, "much faster than a penguin can waddle."

Pazzo's discovery may also help solve a long-standing Antarctic mystery: What happened to the heroic polar explorer Philippe Poisson, who disappeared in Antarctica without a trace in 1837? "I wouldn't rule out the possibility that a big pack of ice borers got him," says Pazzo. "I've seen what these things do to emperor penguins -- it isn't pretty -- and emperors can be as much as four feet tall. Poisson was about 5 foot 6. To the ice borers, he would have looked like a big penguin."
Apparently "Aprile Pazzo" is Italian for "April Fool." :p

I told my friend I got in a car accident and my dad was bleeding all over the place.

The whole CADIE thing on Google is fucking hilarious. Go to the Images tab right now, you'll laugh your ass off.

Upside-down Youtube was fun.

My roommate and I pranked his father's website by translating the homepage into Latin.

And a friend of mine pulled this:

Picture1-7.png

^ Jokes like that are completely fucking stupid. There's nothing clever about that at all, it's just telling a dramatic lie to freak someone out. Not only are you cheap and unfunny, but also an asshole.

The CADIE thing was definitely awesome. :lol:

My english teacher gave us a pop quiz at like 8 in the morning, then got surprised when we didn't get that it was a joke...fuckin' bitch.

What's the CADIE thing with the images tab? I don't get what V's talking about.

My fiance tried to pull some shit on me today saying that her SUV wouldn't start and i had to leave work to go and pick her up. I almost fell for it except shes a terrible liar.

My friend sent me a text message saying his phone was dying and that I needed to desperately call his friend's phone about our housing situation next year and I, despite thinking what the number probably was a prank, did it to check. And I was fooled. :lol: But I hid ping pong paddles underneath his pillows and his football pillow in his laundry. :lol:
Someone also taped CAUTION signs on my door tonight.

Google's stuff is always a highlight. I remember in the pre-internet days, Game Informer magazine did great AFD work. Since you had only one issue a month, you knew there would be 99% serious news and one joke. The joke had subtle clues, but lots of people didn't get it, and sent in all sorts or ridiculous letters to the editor. Gaming mags were so full of gossip anyway at the time, with stuff like the M2, and consoles you'd never even seen, like the CD-i and Neo Geo. One of the cool parts about not having the internet was the slower news cycles, and dying waiting for the new magazine to come in every month. That's one thing that sucks nowadays.

You sound like a terrible friend

I learned yesterday that in Canada April Fools day "ends" at noon. As in you can't pull pranks after that. Not sure why. I also remember coming up with an awesome prank as I was going to sleep but now I don't remember it :(.

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine found a shipping crate of Jack Daniel's (10 bottles), 2 bottles of Jim Beam, a bottle of tequila that I'm not sure of the brand, and a random half bottle of Kaluha out in an old shed on his property. All of the bottles were about 20 years old.

Yesterday, my friend told me that all of the liquor was gone. When I got off the phone with him, it crossed my mind that it could've ben an April Fool's day joke. I asked him about it this morning and it wasn't a joke, all of that liquid gold is gone :cry: